Almost too easy

I have a Remington 760 in .30-06 my father gave me back in 1984. I started calling it my "family unit rifle". When I lived in Alaska you could take 5 deer and 5 caribou. Took a bunch of mom and the kids up there. Had to have inch and a half cut off the barrel and get it reblued from the salt water. I hunt off horses these days here in MT and couple years ago my mount decided he had an itch that couldn't wait and went to the ground rolling with me still on him. Bent my barrel. Local smith said he thought he fixed it but as it warms up second, third, fourth shot keeps walking to the right. It's but a cold bore shooter now. So now the 760 is retired. No barrels I can find for it. I took more game with that rifle than all the rest I have added up.
My GOD what a story!
I just got of the phone of a 2 hour conversation with my (child hood) brother about out 760s!!!!

Our squirrel season ended Jan. 31. I turned 79 years old today and still work full time and am anxious for our Iowa hunting season to open early September.
I am no longer a patrolman of 30 years on the military installation where I work but now help build munitions for the military.
Life is good and working finances my hunting and fishing gear. I have wanted that new Savage A17 Sporter .17 WSM for the past two hunting seasons of waiting for delivery and am still waiting.

Attachments

• 1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 27
Our squirrel season ended Jan. 31. I turned 79 years old today and still work full time and am anxious for our Iowa hunting season to open early September.
I am no longer a patrolman of 30 years on the military installation where I work but now help build munitions for the military.
Life is good and working finances my hunting and fishing gear. I have wanted that new Savage A17 Sporter .17 WSM for the past two hunting seasons of waiting for delivery and am still waiting.
Happy Birthday and many more!!!!🙏
Hope you get your rifle soon and you shoot many a game animal!

Happy belated birthday.

My hunting buddy and I were addicted to squirrel hunting many years ago. Opening day was looked forward to like deer season.
He's gone now, but the memories we made are still fresh. Best days I ever spent in the woods.

My hunting buddy and I were addicted to squirrel hunting many years ago. Opening day was looked forward to like deer season.
He's gone now, but the memories we made are still fresh. Best days I ever spent in the woods.
My older brother by 10 years and a good childhood friend raised and trained squirrel dogs, and squirrel hunting with those 2 were some of the greatest memories I had as a young teen and young man. Out at the very crack of day until lunch, we would bring home a potpourri of game found in the timber and small fields. Squirrels, rabbits, quail, doves and the occasional racoon found bedded up in a fork. But mostly gray and fox squirrels.

I remember my friend loved using an old, worn Savage 311 12ga double, while I would act as the sniper with a 22LR. If I missed or the squirrel began to "top out" running, he had it covered. My older brother often used his old Remington 1100 in 16ga, but eventually he bought a Savage model 24 over/under in 222 Rem over 20ga. After a trigger job and creating some reduced handloads for the 222, that thing was a serious squirrel killer.

Sadly, they are gone now, and now my health is declining also, but there are days I find myself thinking of all those times and missing them both.

I know what you mean. After my son grew up and moved, hunting now is a solo thing. I'm killing the biggest bucks I ever have, but I'd trade all these for the days hunting with my son and by ole friend even if all we got was a spike or just got to see some tails. Best days by far.

My two sons and daughter are all married and all becoming parents this year. My best elk hunt us four were together in the mountains and I shot my first and only six x six. Most fabulous hunt of all time and now I hunt alone too. The picture of us four together with the horses and that big elk one of my most favorite. Best days by far also.

Here in central Oregon we have the Western grey squirrel and they are prolific around our house. We live in the forest and they get into the bird feeder all the time. I don't know if folks hunt them here so I need to check the regs. They are pretty fat and certainly are not endangered.

We have more squirrels now than you can shake a stick at. The owls, eagles and hawks and others don't come around enough anymore. Not sure what happened to the Owl, but he was good to take out a few a month or more. The subdivision keeps on expanding, we can't take the squirrels out ourselves here. A shame a good air rifle could do some damage on these rodents. On another note: Pigeon population is down, not sure why.

I live atop of the Mississippi River bluff in SE Iowa.
We have a lot of game here in town, especially here in the north end of town. Our town population of squirrels is great but the population of them has greatly decreased out of town due to so many varmints.
Since great powers invented the .17 rimfires, hunting is often better than expected, as far as equipment. When the HMR rifles hit the market, I bought one right away and it has proven to be a fantastic hunting round.

And as you know, the .17 WSM came on the scene and of course, I grabbed a BMAG WSM as soon as they were for sale. Both .17 Savage rifles required some after market additions and work to be a proper working and accurate hunting rifle.

The advantage of the WSM over the HMR has proven itself over the HMR for hunting small game and the occasional large varmint that happens along.

I am happy with my WSM rifle and ordered another one two years ago, a Savage A17 Sporter .17 WSM.

Nope, that rifle has not arrived yet. A picture of my tricked out HMR and a picture of my BMAG WSM. And a picture of the A17 WSM.

Attachments

• 174553591_497818784691450_482344401437843187_n HMR.jpg
    174553591_497818784691450_482344401437843187_n HMR.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 319177848_718981666144363_2224496017351349563_n (2).jpg
    319177848_718981666144363_2224496017351349563_n (2).jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 47008-2019-08-21-03-15-08.png
    47008-2019-08-21-03-15-08.png
    16 KB · Views: 26