All around bullet for 240 Wby?

74sharps

I recently purchased a Mk V Hunter in 240 Wby. A question for the 240 shooters. What weight bullet for all around/general purpose use? I have been considering the 95 grain
Classic Hunter. Any other recommendations?

Most of the deer that I have killed using my 240 fell to the 95 grain Ballistic Tips. It's an accurate bullet and delivers quick kills. The 95 grain Partition also shoots well and was used on one of my best white tail bucks. I have some of those 95 grain Bergers but haven't shot them yet, I suspect they would do well. I have a new Kreiger 7.5 twist barrel now on my Mark V and it shoots the Berger 105 quite well and worked good on the one buck that I shot with it so far with a complete pass through and a large exit wound. You will be limited with the 10 twist but the 95 grain and regular 100 grain will do most of what you need. When I used mine for ground hogs and foxes, I used the 75 and 80 grain varmint bullets so there was less of a chance of ricochets. Some guys will recommend the 85 grain Sierra hpbt as an all-around bullet, but I had them hold together and keep on going after going through a ground hog several times. It is an accurate bullet though.
Gary

I measured the twist in this rifle. The first time I got a 1 in 8" twist. The second time got more precise with my measuring and to my disbelief it came out at
a 1 in 7.5". I had emailed Weatherby before I got the rifle and was told in no uncertain terms that the 240 Weatherby goes out of the factory with a 1 in 10" twist. Is mine a fluke? Is Weatherby getting more updated with their twists?
Kind of flabbergasted by the results. I'd really like to hear from someone that has purchased a 240 Hunter recently to get their results.

Maybe Weatherby doesn't know what twist that they are installing on their own rifles?
Get some Berger 108s and try them on paper.

I measured the twist in this rifle. The first time I got a 1 in 8" twist. The second time got more precise with my measuring and to my disbelief it came out at
a 1 in 7.5". I had emailed Weatherby before I got the rifle and was told in no uncertain terms that the 240 Weatherby goes out of the factory with a 1 in 10" twist. Is mine a fluke? Is Weatherby getting more updated with their twists?
Kind of flabbergasted by the results. I'd really like to hear from someone that has purchased a 240 Hunter recently to get their results.
I put a 7.5 on my older Mark V.
I am shooting 110 A-Tips.
From the older barrel, 10twt I shot 90gr. Swift Scirocco for deer and 87 V-Max for varmint. The new 240s are coming out with 7.5twt, and the 243win in the 307model. You will like the 240, brass is hard to find, buy there Select Ammo 100gr. The last time I bought it, it was only 39.95 dollars. Have Fun. 😎

85 gr Barnes TSX is money in the .240. I've used it on several deer with fantastic results. 100 grain partitions work great also and hold together well. Will likely switch to Hammers as I've been using them in everything the past 5 years.

The 80 grain Barnes would be a very good choice for an all around bullet. It would definitely have decent velocity. Never tried the Hammers. More weight choices with them. Does the groove design on the Hammers reduce friction
and enhance velocity?

I vote for Nosler Partitions. Either 95 or 100 grain. The Accubond would also be good. I used the 100 grain in a 6MM Remington for everything from groundhogs to Mule Deer. Because the front portion always opens up and the rear does not, it works on all sizes of game.