Albino?

Ridge Runner

Ok, 2 morns in a row, me and a co-worker saw this turkey feeding in the woods at the edge of a hardcapped back road. she just went about her business like we never stopped. So this morn I went up with my camera and waited, sure enough here came a normaly colored turkey, and this one running behind it.
when they were out of sight I walked up to the road and there she stood, the normal colored one melted into the brush, this one crossed the road and crawled under a board fence into a field.
I slowly walked over and again she paid no attention to me until she heard rusleing in the grass, the head went erect (at this time I was 10 yards) a gave 2 very soft yelps, she immediately went back to feeding, slowly I inched closer and at 8 yards I snapped this pic.
Now I'm pretty sure this turkey is blind, cause she showed no hint of even seeing me, she did a couple alarm puts when the camera buzzed the last time but settled down with a couple more yelps. she was still feeding when I left.
Now I have no reason to not believe this is a young blind albino turkey hen, she has the very pink leggs like a wild turkey, she's almost too small to be even a 15 week old domestic bird, and she's acting like the typical nesting wild hen. so what you guys think?
whitehen028.jpg

No farms within 6-10 miles that have turkeys, and I have never saw a white domestic turkey survive in these mountains more than a few days from eagles, coyotes, and the like
So did I see an albino?
RR

I would doubt a totally blind turkey could fly up to roost and then down again and also find food. Perhaps she is severely nearsighted but my bet is a domestic turkey gone feral.

I think the eyes have to be pink to be a true albino,But i'm not sure.

Maybe someone else will chime in and clear this up.

If it is a feral it needs to be harvested to prevent it from getting into the gene pool.

J E CUSTOM

Ridge Runner,

Hmmmmm, as said above a true albino is almost always pink eyed, and all that I've seen of any species are pink.

Also, completely white headed animals that are usually multi colored, as in border collies, are usually deaf instead of blind.

Your turkey being completely white with the yellow legs and feet would more likely than not would be a domestic adopting a wild family.

It seemed to act similar to a bum lamb that was raised by people. They never get over it.......

I'd consider very delicately doing the harvest thing and put'er in the pot.:) Just to keep the gene pool clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.