air rifle

mustang58

I have been looking at air rifles. I have looked at TX200, RWS350, HW97 and a Beeman R9. Does anyone have experience with these or are there others? I just want something to shoot pests around the house.

Beeman will do nicely. Had one with the Rekord trigger. Not familiar with the others.
I would recommend a .22 cal over the .177. Try the Beeman FTS pellets in whatever you decide. They are very accurate. Stay away from the alloy pellets that advertise higher velocity.
A good quality AIR GUN scope (Hawke,etc) will make a world of difference.
If you decide on a Gamo rifle (don't !!), the triggers are horrible at best.

Check out the Hatsans I have the 125 sniper . It has a German steel walther barrel , quattro 2 stage trigger , adjustable Cheek pad and butt pad. It also has a built in super quite silencer that really works great . I got mine on sale at midway usa a few years ago for 189.00 I would get the 22 cal . It sends the 22cal out of the barrel at 975 fps and with a 18 grain pellet you can get 37 fpe out of the barrel and and still have 8 fpe at 200 yards. Its better to have more power than you need because you never know when that coyote is going to come into your yard . The guns you listed don't put out the fpe your going to need . Once you put a 8-25x50 scope on it you will be sniper hunting more than you think . Here is a video of the rifle . [ame]https://youtu.be/JRr_2zPPsw0[/ame]

My boy has a Benjimin Titan nitro piston I did a trigger job on it. It's ok for pests. It really likes the JSB exact pellets.

I have owned Chinese rifles (still have a BAM PCP), RWS , Weihrauch and Air Arms TX200. Of all of them the TX200 was the nicest shooting most accurate rifle. One thing to keep in mind is it is a field target gun so it is heavy and not the best to carry around all day. But the trigger is the finest 2 stage trigger I have ever felt. They are wonderful air rifles.

Have had an R9 in .177 for about 8 years now.

Have shot game/pests from 10-50 yards.

Have shot targets from 10-100 yards. (yes 100, hope you have a backdrop that kick up dust, a spotter and very low expectations)

Excellent rifle, very accurate with power to dispatch pests. Routinely shoot feral cats and coons DRT.

Also eat a healthy amount of rabbits and squirrels. Rabbits are easy to kill, squirrels are more muscular so keep it within 40ish yards to ensure a headshot.

Would buy again in a heartbeat, awesome rifle.

My first choice would be a TX200 in .177. Accurate, hard hitting, and oh that trigger(adjustable). Mine is set at 2lbs.
Crosman Premier 7.9gr CPL`s in the cardboard box or JSB 8.4gr pellets for out to :D if you practice, and Beeman/H&N Crow Magnums for under 25 yards on small pests.
Good mount and optics are key.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.