Ahh, need help with new build. 6, 6.5, or 7mm

sounds like we are in the same boat then.

as far as mag length goes i think i will be going with badger detachable mags.

the pro for the 6.5 is the ease of loading good brass.
obviously the pro for the 260 is a little more speed.

i think it is definitely coming down to these two rounds. i'm still reading about them all over. lot's of good stuff over on 6mmbr on the smaller round like these.

if you plan on shooting 140gr bullets in the standard Rimington mag you do have to seat them pretty deep and loose out on some potential case capacity. If you have an aftermarket mag system it's not as much an issue.
QUOTE]
This is true, and it is the very basis for the 6.5x47L as well as the 6.5Creedmore. To better a 223 or the Grendel in an AR15 or short magazine platform(High Power competition), for medium ranges.

I respect no more of a 6.5mouse, than I do a 30br or a 6PPC.
These are not long range cartridges. They are not hunting cartridges.
This is LONGRANGEHUNTING.COM

I know this is longrangehunting.com, but like i posted earlier i already have a custom 300RUM for hunting that shoots amazing.

i'm looking to build this for rockchucks, coyotes, and other varmint hunting to 1k yds without burning up barrels so fast.

i posted here, because this is my favorite forum, but are you saying that i should not have?

no prob, just sounded a bit like that.

mike, what round would you choose for what i'm talking about? long barrel life, and shooting a pretty high BC bullet for varmints? 260?

Last edited:
Great Post. Good question. Seems like we could be burning some brain cells on this one. :)

In my opinion, shooting rock chucks has a lot more to do with benchrest shooting than big game hunting.( Hunting big game involves bigger targets.) Many 6.5mm bullets will do deadly damage on antelope, coyotes and chucks. So it's a toss up between them. The choice boils down to 130 or 140 grain bullets @ 3000 fps.
So look at your ballistic tables and choose a bullet. Any bullet you pick is going to work, just some better than others.

Next, all of these cartridges will launch high BC bullets @ 3000 fps. If you go much faster you'll loose barrel life. So learn to range your targets and get a scope that will do the job.

Next the choice boils down to brass. Why brass ? Considering the extreme accuracy that you'll need for long range paper or critter targets, you'll need the very best ammunition that you can get. And this means top quality brass. Most benchresters agree: Lapua is the best.
I will put Nosler next in line, then Norma. But clearly, all very good brass.
So pick a high BC bullet, pick a Lapua brass caliber to launch it, pick a barrel maker to build it and you're done.

No more brain damage.:D

what round would you choose for what i'm talking about? long barrel life, and shooting a pretty high BC bullet for varmints? 260?

The only cartridge I'm aware of that meets ALL your parameters, is the standard 308Win
.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

While it does nothing excellent, it does do it all..
Barrel life
Short barrel
Can be very accurate
1Kyd potential
Varmint bullets as well as any other
No fireforming or special reloading
Lapua brass
Plenty of suppressors designed around it
Gunbuilders who have truly perfected designs based on it:
Home - GA Precision

4bycamper and mikecr, both of those last post were great. thanks

mike you are right about the 308, but then the bug to have something a little different comes into play. i will be taking apart a 308 rifle to build this one on.
i think that the 6.5 will give me less recoil than the 308 shooting 168's, so i can spot my hits easier. also i think the 6.5 will buck the wind better then the 308. the 6.5 does give up some barrel life to the 308, but still does a LOT better job then my RUM. And you're right GAP does a great job on those 308's!

i'm narrowed it down to the 6.5x47 or the 260rem. when i start ordering parts, i will just pick one, and from what i've found, i should be happy with either one. i've got a few pro's and con's to each caliber, but they are the closest i've seen to what i'm looking for.

i really appreciate your guys input on this. believe it or not, it did help me organize my ideas.
thanks again, jon

Run the 260 and use Lapua brass. Just neck the 243 up. Then you will also have fairly easy access to factory ammo if it were ever needed. Plus that little extra pop when needed.

Worth .02?

Steve

wow - that's a lot of conversation to land at the 260rem. My next build will be a 260rem for the same reasons you identify. High BC bullets, fast but still good barrel life and low recoil.

Since you're going the custom route and you want to be able to spot your shots, have a muzzle brake installed. Then you can spot your shots - even on the close shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.