Ah, the past.

We have 2 gas stations that have good little gun stores in them. They are fun to be in, and shop.
Used to have a great little gun shop in a pawn shot about fifteen miles from my house. He was a Cooper dealer, and could order almost anything else a man wanted. Carried a great inventory of primers, bullets and powder, and even some brass. He retired a few years ago, and now the best decent shop is about fifty miles away. Gunbroker has been my main source over the last few years, but it's really nice to pick up what you're trying to buy. We have a couple of good gunshows in Tulsa, but finding any kind of a decent deal there is tougher and tougher.

Used to have a great little gun shop in a pawn shot about fifteen miles from my house. He was a Cooper dealer, and could order almost anything else a man wanted. Carried a great inventory of primers, bullets and powder, and even some brass. He retired a few years ago, and now the best decent shop is about fifty miles away. Gunbroker has been my main source over the last few years, but it's really nice to pick up what you're trying to buy. We have a couple of good gunshows in Tulsa, but finding any kind of a decent deal there is tougher and tougher.

There are 5 within 60 kms of me, but my 2 favorites are further away, 1 is about 100 kms away and its really good, then my very favorite is about 350 kms away, I have to go to that small town with my boss on business later this month, and will be ordering a Browning 243 lever, and a trigger for it while there. I go there every 3 months for my job, so will pick it up on another trip.

@Small Lady
What's making you order a trigger for the 243. Curious

I'm going to be ordering a Browning lever 243 soon, and the triggers in them ( i have shot many Browning rifles ) are ridiculously stiff. So I need to figure out what trigger will require the least possible pressure, and order that at the same time. Because before I even put a single round through it, I'll be changing the trigger. Browning rifles are great, except for their terrible triggers. They must budget 2 cents per rifle for the trigger, so that's all they put in is garbage triggers. Maybe if my hands were twice as big as they are, and I could crush coconuts by just squeezing them with my bare hands, then the triggers wouldn't seem as bad, but I have little hands, and am not stronger than the Hulk when he is angry.

Last edited:
I'm going to be ordering a Browning lever 243 soon, and the triggers in them ( i have shot many Browning rifles ) are ridiculously stiff. So I need to figure out what trigger will require the least possible pressure, and fit it, and order that at the same time. Because before I even put a single round through it, I'll be changing the trigger. Browning rifles are great, except for their terrible triggers. They must budget 2 cents per rifle for the trigger, so that's all they put in is garbage triggers. Maybe if my hands were twice as big as they are, and I could crush coconuts by just squeezing them with my bare hands, then the triggers wouldn't seem as bad, but I have little hands, and am not stronger than the Hulk when he is angry.
I haven't bought a Browning in years but owned a few A Bolts back in the day. Timney used to make a spring for them that really did a nice job for that trigger. You might check that out, but I've never shot any of their lever guns. Nice looking rifles, but handloading for lever rifles is quite a bit trickier, at least that's been my experience, than loading for bolt action rifles, so I've shied away from them. Nothing like the solid lockup of a bolt action. I do own one Savage 99, and a Winchester 22WMR, and like them both, but loading for the Savage is no fun.

I was working on a SR cartridge development and ran across this image from a few years ago:

View attachment 507125

Just a couple of yucks; Osco Drugs selling primers and the price, of course. Those were the days...

;)
Yeah I pulled out a brick of large magnum rifle primers last week 32 dollars was the price on the box and they aren't really that old maybe 10 years and I'm being generous

I haven't bought a Browning in years but owned a few A Bolts back in the day. Timney used to make a spring for them that really did a nice job for that trigger. You might check that out, but I've never shot any of their lever guns. Nice looking rifles, but handloading for lever rifles is quite a bit trickier, at least that's been my experience, than loading for bolt action rifles, so I've shied away from them. Nothing like the solid lockup of a bolt action. I do own one Savage 99, and a Winchester 22WMR, and like them both, but loading for the Savage is no fun.

Great tip about the spring, thanks.
I won't be loading my own, but shooting Federal 85 grain in it, since that is what my boss buys for all the 243 shooters here.