Aftermarket Triggers

Bolt guns I assume. I have a few Timneys, I'd like to get a Jewel or Trigger Tech but I don't have the rifles for them yet. I have a couple different triggers in ARs too. Elf and CMC. Still considering what I'll get for my next AR. The Savage that I'm in the process of building will get another Timney, hopefully the rifle after that will get a Trigger Tech Diamond.

I'd like to see a real comprehensive comparison test of the top 10 triggers, perhaps with the top 20 gun writers! Blind testing, honest, would be very valuable to us citizen shooters!
Your trigger comparison test is a great idea. That said, I'm curious, I had Timneys installed on two rifles, both REM 700's, one in 300 WM, the other is their 700 in thrir Ultimate in line muzzleloader, both were major improvements to the stock triggers. My question is, would I get similar improvement on my Tikka T3X (300WM) which has an excellent stock trigger I have set at 3 lbs. for hunting? If so, I'd probably go with the TT Diamond based on the positive comments on this thread. Let me know what you think…thanks

Your trigger comparison test is a great idea. That said, I'm curious, I had Timneys installed on two rifles, both REM 700's, one in 300 WM, the other is their 700 in thrir Ultimate in line muzzleloader, both were major improvements to the stock triggers. My question is, would I get similar improvement on my Tikka T3X (300WM) which has an excellent stock trigger I have set at 3 lbs. for hunting? If so, I'd probably go with the TT Diamond based on the positive comments on this thread. Let me know what you think…thanks
I should have checked first to see if any of the trigger companies actually make a trigger for the Tikka T3X…as it turns out Timney is the only one which lists a trigger for Tikka and that is for the T3 (probably would work for the 3X too) but would call them first…think I'll stick with the stock trigget…

Your trigger comparison test is a great idea. That said, I'm curious, I had Timneys installed on two rifles, both REM 700's, one in 300 WM, the other is their 700 in thrir Ultimate in line muzzleloader, both were major improvements to the stock triggers. My question is, would I get similar improvement on my Tikka T3X (300WM) which has an excellent stock trigger I have set at 3 lbs. for hunting? If so, I'd probably go with the TT Diamond based on the positive comments on this thread. Let me know what you think…thanI believe it would, but if you want to just keep your trigger and just reduce the pull weight
I should have checked first to see if any of the trigger companies actually make a trigger for the Tikka T3X…as it turns out Timney is the only one which lists a trigger for Tikka and that is for the T3 (probably would work for the 3X too) but would call them first…think I'll stick with the stock trigget…
If you like your stock trigger and just want to reduce the pull weight, you can do it for around $10. I ordered a Tikka trigger spring for my T3X CTR and it got me down to around 1.5-2 lbs. It also didn't change the already excellent feel to it. The brand was Yo Dave but I have seen others making them recently. Just google search for a Tikka trigger spring.

I know with Timney their triggers are usually at least a little bit nicer than factory triggers. I have a couple in Savages and one in a Nosler M48. I also have their spring kits for my Browning A-Bolts, they make a world of difference. I have the problem where I really hate a trigger that's much more than 2lbs. Maybe it's my poor shooting ability, I don't know but I don't like them. All of that to say, the Timney for a Tikka probably has the ability to get lighter than whatever is factory. I don't think I'll keep factory triggers in anything moving forward aside from maybe a shotgun or pistol. When I got my Nosler, second hand from a consignment rack, I couldn't get the trigger to adjust like I thought it was supposed to. I was able to send that in to Timney and they cleaned it, polished the sear and replaced a couple of parts and sent it back at 1lb 14oz, just right! I really appreciate the service I received from them and it makes me want more of their products.

Last edited:
If you like your stock trigger and just want to reduce the pull weight, you can do it for around $10. I ordered a Tikka trigger spring for my T3X CTR and it got me down to around 1.5-2 lbs. It also didn't change the already excellent feel to it. The brand was Yo Dave but I have seen others making them recently. Just google search for a Tikka trigger spring.
I spoke with Elay Precision about their spring for the T3X and they were honest with me when they said their spring wouldn't be a benefit unless I wanted to reduce pull weight to less than 2.5 lbs, which I don't.

I do like Jewels. But in my M70's, I have Dale Hegstrom of Little Crow Gunworks in Spicer MN work on them. When he gets done with them they break as crisp and light as any trigger made.

I know that rifles keep getting better, and that includes barrels, triggers and weight. Still, some folks just like to have their trigger just the way they like it and choose an aftermarket trigger to get the best function. Any of you use an aftermarket trigger and which one?
Depends on what I am shooting. Bolt action I prefer a1.5 lbs trigger and semi automatic rifles I prefer a3lbs trigger.