Africa 2023

Looks like an awesome trip. I am headed to the same region end of June. Any tips?

Bring something for the ticks. Dad and I hunted west of Pietermaritsburg ( south of Lompopo) May 2022. Great hunt but we got bit by ticks the last couple days and were sick as all get out on the miserable flight home. When I got home I passed out at about 6pm and woke up at 6am the next day with stolen/sore ankles, hips, wrists. All my joints hurt. Lasted about 2 more days. Dad had to go get medication he was so sick. Nasty little buggers.

Been there a few times. Beware, it can be highly addicting! May through August is the best time IMO. Cold nights and nice days, so take appropriate layering clothes sprayed with permitherin.
Learn and practice shooting standing off of sticks. My regime is set up the sticks (your tracker or PH will do that); take a few steps back; start to count seconds off; then move to the sticks setting up; aim and fire; all within 5 seconds. Practice over and over. Africa game will stop and look at you for about 5 seconds then they are gone. Anyway that has worked for me.
There are some good recommendations on what to take by several people on africahunting.com. Just search what to take, or look me up under Ridgewalker and I have some lists and photos in my hunt reports.

If I can be of help, don't hesitate to pm me. You will never regret going to Africa, but you will always regret not going!

working as an engineer i worked all over southern africa in the 1980's and hunted angola, zambia, SA, zimbabwe, kenya and tanzania. now in 2023 big game hunting in these areas is in sharp decline and in some areas no longer viable. if you plan on a trophy hunt to africa consider it sooner than later since the land i once hunted has because of population growth, farming and decline in animal populations no longer available. i never got a chance to hunt botswana but i am told big game hunting there is now back on and their big game populations are varied and superb...consider botswana.

Great pictures. I have a buddy that's shot a bunch with a pistol in Africa as well.

A buddy and our wives are headed over to Limpopo the third week of June. We'll be hunting the first week of July. I'm pretty much after a Zebra (for a rug) and an Impala. I'm not sure about the others quite yet.

Bring something for the ticks. Dad and I hunted west of Pietermaritsburg ( south of Lompopo) May 2022. Great hunt but we got bit by ticks the last couple days and were sick as all get out on the miserable flight home. When I got home I passed out at about 6pm and woke up at 6am the next day with stolen/sore ankles, hips, wrists. All my joints hurt. Lasted about 2 more days. Dad had to go get medication he was so sick. Nasty little buggers.
not just ticks, i have had bilharzia........something nasty that lives in fresh water all over southern africa and this parasite can make you sick for quite some time.

Congratulations!
What an awesome experience. Like others have said, it is addicting. I would go every year if I could afford it.
Some asked for any pointers for transporting firearms, forms etc. I spoke with a fella that had made many trips to Africa and recommended I use Gracy's Travel Service. I did and it was a great experience. They made all my travel plans, prepared me for the trip and what to expect and helped with forms. I also used their "Meet and Greet" service. It expedited entry to South Africa and made it simple. I did have one hang up and it was in the US with my long guns. I made one call to Gracy's 24 hour number and they fixed it. (Actually just educated an airline).

I highly recommend using them for any over seas hunting adventure.