Advice on scoping new hunting rifle

MallardAddict

Im currently shopping for a new scope for 6.5 saum. The rifle is a Stiller action, 24" proof carbon and a Manners EH1 so fairly light at
7lbs as it sits so I don't think I want to run a super heavy optic.

On my other rifles I currently have NXS in various formats, several t5xi 5-25 SCR's, and a pair of k624i's in MSR and like everything but their weight.

This is mostly a packable deer hunting rifle and shots range from 200yds to as far as a guy cares to shoot which makes me lean to a higher top end of 18-20 or so. It may get used occasionally for elk and bears in thicker terrain so a lower bottom end may be of use to me.

I typically dial elevation and hold windage for what it is worth.

Wants:
Fairly light weight
FFP
Mil-Rad reticle that isn crazy busy
Zero stop
Locking windage (not a deal breaker)
preferably around $2000

Not opposed to buying used optics

So what says the group?

Im currently shopping for a new scope for 6.5 saum. The rifle is a Stiller action, 24" proof carbon and a Manners EH1 so fairly light at

On my other rifles I currently have NXS in various formats, several t5xi 5-25 SCR's, and a pair of k624i's in MSR and like everything but their weight.

This is mostly a packable deer hunting rifle and shots range from 200yds to as far as a guy cares to shoot which makes me lean to a higher top end of 18-20 or so. It may get used occasionally for elk and bears in thicker terrain so a lower bottom end may be of use to me.

Wants:
Fairly light weight
FFP
Zero stop
preferably around $2000

So what says the group?
leupold vx 5 or 6 hd

For what it is worth the SIG Tango 4 is an awesome scope for well under a thousand. Illuminated FFP and you can have MOA or MIL and not heavy. Jap optics assembled here I believe. They used to make a 3 to 12 that was awesome but of course they quit that one. Now a 4 to 16 or higher if you wish.

Used March F 3-24×52 if you are patient and fast when one comes up.

Used Premier Heritage Light Tactical but only goes 3-15×50.

A couple others, but over your budget. Worth saving for though.

S&B PMII 5-20×50US
S&B PMII 3-20×50US
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50

Wants:
Fairly light weight
FFP
Zero stop
preferably around $2000

So what says the group?
Get a leupold and talley rings to keep the weight down

Kahles k38i might work for you or a S&B. Getting high power scopes aren't the lightest. The RRS scope mount is light. That 6.5 SAUM will reach out and touch something for sure

I have a light weight 6.5 saum build coming and had bought a NX8 4-32 to put on it. After trying this scope on another rifle, I found the eye box too finicky for my taste in a hunting rifle. (I suspect many of the very high variable range scopes from various manufacturers may have similar issues)
I have the choice between most of the high end NF scopes (including a 2.5x20 NX8) and a Vortex AMG for the new build. I decided to opt for the AMG on the new build as it strikes a good balance between weight an performance in my opinion. I have another AMG on my lighter 300 WM and it has served me very well in hunting applications. Most of my shots are sitting or supported and not snap shots in brush.

For what it is worth the SIG Tango 4 is an awesome scope for well under a thousand. Illuminated FFP and you can have MOA or MIL and not heavy. Jap optics assembled here I believe. They used to make a 3 to 12 that was awesome but of course they quit that one. Now a 4 to 16 or higher if you wish.
I'd second this. In fact I'd say get a Tango6.
FWIW. I have a Sig Sauer Sierra3 BDX and love it. I think it's the way of the future (like it or not) Although it's not a true FFP but rather an electronic reticle. Simply range and shoot. Just my 2c

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.