Advice on best scope combo medium and short range for AR

weskan

I need some guidance please; I just purchased the Olympic Arms UMAR in 22-250 for coyote calling. In the past I would always carry a rifle (long range) and a shotgun (short range) but am interested in using a combo setup on this AR. A quality medium range scope (out to 500 yds) and a reflex red-dot site (short range). Is this doable, what would you suggest for the medium range and what would you suggest for the short range, as well as how to mount both. I would also be interested in hearing any guidance for hand loading for the Olympic Arms 22-250. Thanks in advance for the help.

Go with a three gun set up .Iron sites on top Red dot over the top and a see all open sight on the side. I have a friend with a nice Nikon on top irons under and a Red dot hung on the side . Just a thought.

Heya Weskan... I purchased a set of 45* angled iron sights for my ar15. I went to a gun show here at our range a few years ago where you could buy bullets and shoot any of the guns that were represented. One of the armalite reps had the angled sights on his system along with a scope. I was freaking impressed. Was able to hit a 3" spinner nearly every time at 100 yards without really even trying that hard.

Afterwards... I had to have one as I figured it'd be perfect for yote hunting so that I wouldn't need to have to carry my shotgun out with me to every stand. although I didn't go for the $200-$300 set, and just purchased a $35 set off of ebay, they work great. I absolutely love them... What a great idea!

The only issue that I wish I could resolve is that on my DPMS sweet 16, the gas block sits lower than the the scope rail, so I've mounted the angled sights on my scope rail, along with my scope. I'd prefer if the front angled sight was further forward on my gas block, but even as it is, it's great. Love it... And for the price... Hard to beat.

opplanet-surefire-rapid-transition-sight-dd-rts-set.jpg

Heya Weskan... Here's a Video link that shows the premium surefire model which does run about 240 bucks currently. [ame=http://youtu.be/Ur1v5gE6v5o]Rapid Transition Sights (RTS) - YouTube[/ame]

Wish I could have supported him for a great idea, but the cost was out if reach, so I got a set of knock offs. Looks like there's a number of different makes out there... So if you end up deciding to go this route but can't afford the real deal...check reviews on amazon etc because I'm sure they're not all created equally. I really like the set I got... But unfortunately... they don't even have any kind of identifying brand label on them, otherwise I would post it here for you.

The name for these sights though is "Rapid Transition Sights".

Hope you find a setup you really like!

-James

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.