Adjusting the Winchester XPR MOA Trigger

Good luck! That trigger was not designed/engineered to be adjusted that low and still be safe. I have seen a few of these come through my shop, 2 3/4# was as low as I could go and that was only 1 of maybe a 1/2 dozen triggers, and it was erratic. One pull would give the 2 3/4# the next would be about 3#. That was checking with weights, not a digital pull gauge. The rest were 3#- 3 1/2#. It's a hunting trigger, nothing more.

Last edited:
I happen to think the Winchester MOA trigger are excellent triggers with a little tinkering. After working a Moa trigger over I found then superior to the $180 after market big name super duper replacement triggers that went back into my used parts drawer. First order a replacement trigger spring from Ernie the gunsmith for $7. Disassemble the trigger system by dropping out trigger,actuator and the sear out the top. Suggest you take pictures with your i-phone during disassembly for parts orientation. Use 660 and 880 grit sandpaper and polish the contact surface between the sear and actuator. You are not wanting to remove material but just to polish. When assemble back make sure adjustment screw is in far enough to put pressure on the actuator and lock screw in place with a dab of clear finger nail polish. You can get the MOA down to 2 lbs. pull and the triggers will pass the slam and bump test. The XPR and new model 70 Moa are the same when ordering the spring.

I happen to think the Winchester MOA trigger are excellent triggers with a little tinkering. After working a Moa trigger over I found then superior to the $180 after market big name super duper replacement triggers that went back into my used parts drawer. First order a replacement trigger spring from Ernie the gunsmith for $7. Disassemble the trigger system by dropping out trigger,actuator and the sear out the top. Suggest you take pictures with your i-phone during disassembly for parts orientation. Use 660 and 880 grit sandpaper and polish the contact surface between the sear and actuator. You are not wanting to remove material but just to polish. When assemble back make sure adjustment screw is in far enough to put pressure on the actuator and lock screw in place with a dab of clear finger nail polish. You can get the MOA down to 2 lbs. pull and the triggers will pass the slam and bump test. The XPR and new model 70 Moa are the same when ordering the spring.
Tx Richard. Had a gunsmith install one of Ernie's springs, without the polishing it did not make a difference, still 3 to 3.5 pound. I wish someone would make a replacement trigger for the XPR.

Good luck! That trigger was not designed/engineered to be adjusted that low and still be safe. I have seen a few of these come through my shop, 2 3/4# was as low as I could go and that was only 1 of maybe a 1/2 dozen triggers, and it was erratic. One pull would give the 2 3/4# the next would be about 3#. That was checking with weights, not a digital pull gauge. The rest were 3#- 3 1/2#. It's a hunting trigger, nothing more.
Tx, that is my experience also. Winchester advertises the XPR as the most accurate factory rifle, absolutely not with a trigger like that. And nobody make an after market trigger to replace that engineering debacle.

The last time I knew, Ernie said the spring doesn't fit the XPR. As I stated I would like a 1# trigger. Tx

I had Shawn Thompson from diamond T rifles adjust both of mine to 2 lbs. He told me he worked it over and replaced the spring. I've adjusted them down top 1.8 , safely . I like both of them better than my after market triggers

Check with timney I believe they make a replacement for the moa
Are you sure? The trigger housing is machined as one piece with the action on mine.

I had Shawn Thompson from diamond T rifles adjust both of mine to 2 lbs. He told me he worked it over and replaced the spring. I've adjusted them down top 1.8 , safely . I like both of them better than my after market triggers
I wonder how he did that?? The staking on mine was darn near destructive.

I got mine adjusted to 3.5lbs and crisp.

I would be really careful. They will adjust lower, but the sear would not reliably misset on mine. It all functioned good, but looking through the window, I could see the sear was not resetting properly. Scary!

I emailed Winchester about the key points missing from their instructions to which I received no reply.

I've read a lot of post like this. And I've had such good luck with them. I've put 2 videos up so it doesn't look like I'm blowing smoke. The gauge I'm using isn't the best, but it's close