Action size??

StoneCold

Question: what action size do you need to build a RUM? Will a standard long action from Savage or Remington get it done with out tons of modifications?

I have the funds to purchase a new sendero2, but like the idea of being able to "do more with less" in a savage. I have always liked the way they shoot. Plus I could do some of the work myself...a big plus. Savage does not offer the RUM in any rifle anymore though.

Suggestons?? I am not sold on either yet, and savage gets pretty high reviews here.

SC

You can do a singleshot RUM on a savage action with no problems at all. Things get a little cramped if you want to mag feed ammo. any of the cataloged items chambered for 300WM will work, and you need a RUM/wsm bolt head... $17 from midway. numerous folks do drop in RUM barrels for savage actions, and rum barrels are still avalable from savage. The barrels from savage are built for the large shank actions... most of the aftermarket barrles can be had either way. Numerous rifles chambered for 300RUM, and the lazzaroin cartridges came from the factory on small shank actions... so no fear of building one on the small shank.
Its your money, and your perrogative on how you ballance all the issues of accuracy per$, resale value, astetics, stock options ect...
but for my $ Savage all the bay baby!

Thanks for the info. So if i want a repeater in a savage I should try to find a used one? So it is already set up? I'm thinking best route to joy here.

SC

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.