Action length?

Bob S.

I thought I knew this one but saw something in the sporting goods store yesterday that threw me off. How is action length determined? I thought It was based on the 06 case. 06 and bigger was long and smaller than 06 was short. A cartridge based on a 308 case would be considered short - right?? We are talking standard calibers here not something rechambered to something else.

That's about the way I understand it.

308 Win case is 2.810 OAL (short action), 30-06 is long action.

[ QUOTE ]
That's about the way I understand it.

308 Win case is 2.810 OAL (short action), 30-06 is long action.

[/ QUOTE ] I guess? Well normally the .300 & .375 H&H was considered to be a long action. the .30-06, 270 etc. the standard action and .308 WIN, .243 etc. short actions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whew! thanks guys thought I was losing it.

I was looking at size descriptions for the MTM bore guide. Here are two of the descriptions

1) catalog # yadayada for .17 to .243 (6mm) calibers. Fits Remington 700, 788, 40X short actions; Mauser 300, Ruger 77 short actions; and similar bolt sizes.

2) catalog # yadayada for .17 to .243 (6mm) calibers. Fits Remington 700, 788 long action; Winchester 70 short action; Savage 110; Weatherby Mark V long actions and Vanguard actions; Ruger 77 long actions.

I read these and at the time I couldn't for the life of me picture how a short action caliber needed a device that fit a long action. The large caliber devices mentioned short actions as well. Now in retrospect and rereading I get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sorry to have you guys jump through hoops to help me out but Thanks For the responses.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts