action blueprinting?

Complete accurize. 0f your Rem Actions. This includes single point truing of action, threads,locking surface trued, receiver faced and bolt raceway reamed all in one fixture. Custom PTG bolt with Sako extractor, extended bolt handle. Bolt is then helical (spiral) fluted for smooth operation in very close tollerances. *$400*

ADD *$50* for eccellerated firing pin.

Taken from 308Nate's website, http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

Joe Oakes

John Hinnant has an excellent, detailed booklet with complete instructions, drawings, and tooling drawings for Remington actions. I'll watch this thread, and if you don't find it on the net, I'll post more detail; publisher, etc.

Hinnant says that all 40X actions are blueprinted at Remington, so if you can get one of them, it's supposed to come blueprinted.

Brownell's also has some of the tooling for blueprinting Remingtons.

Tom

Last edited:
thanks guys. i am just starting out as a gunsmith and just finsihed school in febuary, they didnt teach us anything that goes into buleprinting other than facing the reciver. so i figured i would find out what all went into it before i screw something up. thanks huntinfool18

What school did you go to ??

I would have thought that blue printing an action would have been one of the major lessons in building a good rifle

What school did you go to ??

I would have thought that blue printing an action would have been one of the major lessons in building a good rifle

I too thought blueprinting would have been addressed BUT
The first thing we have to teach a graduate of welding school is HOW TO WELD!!!!! Go figure????

i went to the colorado school of trades. the mainly focus on design and function and machining, but they did cover a little bit of everything. just not a full buleprint job.

huntin, the booklet I mentioned last night is- SUPPLEMENT 1 BLUEPRINTING AN ACTION (to) THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO PRECISION RIFLE BARREL FITTING BY: JOHN L. HINNANT

Apparently he publishes it himself. It is specific to Remington 700 actions.
Also, I said that 40X actions are factory blueprinted. What he actually said was that 40XBR actions are factory blueprinted.

At least half of the Remingtons are so crappy that the receiver faces would HAVE TO be trued, and the lugs lapped as a bare minimum. Some have deep scoring on the face, some have rust in one or both mating surfaces of the recoil lug, and one of my rifles only had one locking lug in contact (the bottom one). The internal receiver threads tightend up toward the back and were loaded with some kind of mung (sealer). The receiver tap from Brownells is just expensive enough that I made a thread chaser out of a take-off barrel to at least clean the crap out of it.

That said, with even minimal help, they are great actions.

Man I'm long-winded! Good luck, Tom

Last edited:
thanks tom, i did my best at it today on my own action. i faced the reciver, recut the treads and lugs then laped them. hopefully i didnt do anything to screw the reciver up but it looks preety good. huntinfool18

what did you indicate off of before you started cutting on the action ??

I have seen action that were supposedly "trued" that showed up to the owner with chuck marks on the front reciever ring !!! telling me that the rifle butcher only chucked up the action in a 3 jaw chuck and took for granted that it was true and that the OD of the reciever was consistant with the ID (which it wasen't)

For the action to be fully blue printed you need to set it up and indicate off of the bolt race way that way all the cutts are square with the bolt. This is ALOT easier if the bolt race way is reamed first that way yout indicating rod fits perfectly , I've seen action race ways vary as much as .002" from action to action and alot of time you have to lightly sand the indicatine rod to fit as it'll be inbetween or the race will taper.

I did a little test once with an action I blue printed checking the differance between an action that had the threads recut and one that diden't and I found no differance in accuracy between factory cut threads and threads that I recut .015" over factory. I personaly feel that as long as the reciever face is square and the shoulder on the barrel is square the threads being off a little won't matter and the matting surfaces are gonna make full contact anyway.
But I always asked the customer if they wanted their threads recut and their was no additional charge if they did. but most said no.

i the reciver in a set of whiskers as we call them. and put a .700 bar in the bolt race ways and dialed off of the .700 bar. then cut the reciver face, then the lugs, then the treads. i didnt ream the race ways. which brings up another question, if you ream the raceways do you have to sleeve the bolt? thanks huntinfool18

If the bolt race is reamed then its a good idea to either sleeve the bolt of replace it as their is gonna be ALOT of slop in the bolt and this will cause the bolt to cock in its lugs when the sear is dropped and thats bad for accuracy.

If I'm paying for the action to be reamed then I'd rather have a new bolt from PTG used than spend the same money on having one sleeved.

the bolt race doesen't have to be reamed but if your wanting to get tahn extra tiny bit of accuracy out of the gun to get to BR standards then its a good idea

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.