Accurate 4350

Hornhunter32

I'm having trouble finding H4350 and I have an opportunity to buy an 8lb jug of Accurate 4350, but I don't know much about this powder. I was just wondering if anyone is having good luck with this powder in a 243? Is this powder temp stable? Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

I'm having trouble finding H4350 and I have an opportunity to buy an 8lb jug of Accurate 4350, but I don't know much about this powder. I was just wondering if anyone is having good luck with this powder in a 243? Is this powder temp stable? Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

it burns a little faster than H4350. If your using a 100 grain bullet, Magpro looks real good as well
gary

I will be running a 87gr V-max out of a 20 inch tube.

that changes everything! You'll want something that burns faster, plus more suited for the bullet. In a 20" barrel, I'm not sure that any 4350 would be the best. I think you need something faster. I think I'd try H380 and AA2700. H380 is faster than H414, and H414 is well known to work in the .243. But you have the shorter barrel. I'd even try AA 4064, which is a little faster than IMR 4064
gary

As usual, I agree with Gary. In that short barrel, 4350 is too slow and may not completely burn before reaching the muzzle.

If you like the AA powders, call Western Powder Co. in Montana and they will send you a brochure, or you can bring it up online.

As usual, I agree with Gary. In that short barrel, 4350 is too slow and may not completely burn before reaching the muzzle.

If you like the AA powders, call Western Powder Co. in Montana and they will send you a brochure, or you can bring it up online.

You can call Accurate Powder, and they'll help you select a good starting load. Your key issue is the 20" barrel, but it's not a horrible issue. I remember calling the friendly folks at Hogdons about a 20" barreled .223 I built and they really went out of their way to get me rolling. Accurate will figure a load for you with powders that they sell but don't usually list load data for. That's why I only use Hogdons and Accurate powders (actually most all the other brands that these two sell)
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.