Accuracy loss in fired brass - 30 Nosler ?

300 win mag.

I do plan on starting at 74 grains just wanted an idea of about where to stop, I'm not gonna try to run it near the ragged edge

Ok I needed to confirm to leave no doubt in my mind. So I fine tuned the load in with a slight change of Charge weight. Same powder lot. Same primer lot, same bullet lot.

Went from 82 gr to 82.2 gr and it tightened up. If I don't blow it , it will shoot .25 moa. And first round from a cold barrel is dead nuts center aim point. So, after all this I called it done. Now I needed to revisit the chronograph to see what increase in velocity I got with an additional .2 gr. In fire formed brass, 82.2 gr is shooting 3100 fps again with single digit ES.

Bottom line.

Virgin brass with 84 gr = 3100 fps.

Fire formed brass with 82.2 gr = 3100 fps.

1.8 gr less charge, same velocity.

Velocity from a proven Magneto speed I have learned to trust.

Jeff

Jeff,

I must have missed it, what bullet were you testing?

Ed

Thank you each and every one for the help and suggestions. The load work up for my 30 Nosler "#Executive Order" is done. Now to pit her up against my tried and true 300 win mag "Heart Breaker" and see if there is a real value in opting for a 30 Nosler over the ole 300 win mag.

This was the final zero check at 100 yards from a dead cold rifle.gun)

IMG_20170420_141150848_zps5lqfqlob.jpg

Jeff,
Have you started a thread on 30 N vs 300wm on here or LRO or will you have new thread in completion ? Thanks.

Glad you got her straightened out Broz... I've seen this before with my old stw bbl. on my 7stw... Flaky pressure and loss of accuracy with casings previously fired in that chamber... That's one of the reasons that barrel isn't in service anymore... It required a ton of shoulder clearance and cammed over fl sized brass to shoot well... 1.25 moa down to sub .5 moa at 200yds with a brass sizing change alone.

Jeff,
Have you started a thread on 30 N vs 300wm on here or LRO or will you have new thread in completion ? Thanks.

Mounted a NXS on the ole 300 last night and zeroed her. I will be taking them out side by side soon. I will just add info to the existing 30 Nos "Executive Order" thread.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.