ACCURACY ISSUES with my windage

johnhhernan

Leupold VX-6 4-24

I sighted my rifle in at 200 yds, less than 1/4" hole at 200 yds in my savage 308 win. I can live with that, i will also have a less than 1" group at 570 yds, I can live with that.

So here's what's happening I will shoot at 200 yds one hole, I range my target 570 yds. I make my adjustments in elevation will be okay but I will be off (to the right=windage) 14-17 clicks, I can see the miss so I make my adjustments and I will shoot an excellent group once I make my adjustments.

So why I am having to adjust my windage when I move back into 200 yds or adjust it if I take 350 yd shot.

My reticle is level I've checked it twice.

I don't have a level on my scope when i shoot, Its on order. So even with that, I shouldn't be off that much every time I make a distance adjustments.

Is there something wrong with the scope? or do you have any ideas.

You're only off by about .75 MOA or less at 570 yards. A lot of things can contribute to that much windage error. My first guess would be mirage; next parallax, next (although you're holding the cross hairs level) the cross hair "level" may not agree with the rifle "level" so you could have a cant to your rifle.
If your using a rest it could be the amount of drag between the rest and the stock; placing a hand on the fore stock in addition to the rest. If wind is present it could be a factor. If your using a bipod there are a host of other possibilities. The list can be longer but those are some places to look.

Dr. Vette=I am using a Near MFG product 34MM for rings and base, I feel very high quality but that's my opinion. I am using a wheeler engineering dual level kit.

fearnowind=No mirage, I have shot in mirages before and i have never missed by 16-20 inches, no wind i've shot in that also.

The parallax, is that something I need to talk to Leupold about?

The parallax, is that something I need to talk to Leupold about?

I assume you have the Leupold VX-6 4-24 CDS. Unless you find that your parallax adjustment is dramatically out of register, I doubt that Leupold can help.
Rest your rifle on something solid, adjust your parallax for the yardage you're sighting and look at the target. Move your head slowly side to side and up and down. If the reticle moves your parallax adjustment is not properly set.
Never rely on parallax indicators on the scope. l've experienced situations where the parallax changed over a period of ten or fifteen minutes during an early morning match. Always adjust your parallax based on prevailing conditions.
If you can't get it to settle down then perhaps Leupold can work to improve it.

Well, i called leupold they are sending me rings and mounts. I have shot the box test at 100 yds that's where i take a shot move 12 clicks up then 12 clicks to the right 12 clicks back down and 12 clicks back to the left, well when I did that i shot an outta square, square, a small diamond shape but not that bad. So i told Leupold that and they are now sending me rings and mounts. I hope that works. i don't understand it but I'm hoping they do.

I will update and keep trouble shooting.

I checked the parallax thats one of the first things i do. Thanks for the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.