accumark

I had one in 30-378, well still do is but with a new barrel, and stock. A couple of things I learned from it.

Check the aluminum bedding block. A short time into load development and mine looked like a neglected cold chisel.

Skim bed it. Had absolute fits with it giving first shot flyers and then grouping. Bedding solved this and the cold chisel problem nicely. If you are having problems with accuracy, this is where I would start before burning any more powder.

RL25 in fast fire mode with that much powder turned into some kind of indestructible cement that was the demise of my factory barrel. Better options for the 30-378 IMO are Retumbo and H50BMG.

After cranking hundreds of rounds through it, the extractor got worn and started messing up the case heads. When the rifle starts feeling like there is a "pop" when you close the bolt, it is time to change the extractor. They are $14 available from Weatherby and take 5 minutes to replace. I now have 2 spares.

Enough of the bad stuff:

200gr Accubonds shot extremely well in the factory barrel, better than anything else I tried, and I tried a bunch.

Factory barrel shot very well. Chamber was great. All my little lugs touch. The single best thing I like about it, and the reason I would buy another, Is its bolt face size.

[ QUOTE ]
my buddy is shooting 1 1/2"-2" at 300yds with his 30-378. and this with factory loads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too with my 257 WBY. The challange was that the **** thing would NOT shoot under 1-1.25" at 100 yards. Before selling her I put her to the test at 300 yds. Bingo 1.5-2.25" at 300 yds all day long!

HUH...go figure!

Hi Cam,
Tooley MBR and 29" Hart Heavy Varmint 6 groove 10 twist. 16.25 lbs Throated for 240's, standard necked reamer but I'm necking 338/378 brass down and light cleanup. .3 to .4 MOA at 3150 is where I left it in development, will try and tweek some more. 32 MOA to 1300 tested and I'm guessing 60 will get me a mile. Will know more when I do it this summer.

Have you played anymore with your wildcat stocked monster? Last I remember you were shooting a little lighter bullets very fast and accurate. What was your comeup at extended distance? Got some plans for the Accumark in the corner?

I've got an Accumark in 338/378 and am about to embark on load developement. It will likely be a couple of months before I have anything conclusive to report.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.