accubonds: 130's in 270

Thanks! Guess that I needed another 3 cups of coffee; just didn't make the connection.

Have used IMR 4350, IMR 4064, and 4831 in my A-bolt (present from my wife) for about 45 years and mostly find myself returning to the 4350. Bullets have been everything from A-frames, Accubonds, Speer HotCor and Grand Slam, and I find myself returning to the HotCor more often than not.....because, while the 4350/HotCor combination may not do all that can be done with my rifle, they tend to do reliably what I need doing.

I loved the Speer Nitrex with the Grand Slam in both my Browning .270 and Colt-Sauer 30-06 (miss the Nitrex; wish that Speer hadn't discontinued it) but can't reach the same success with the Grand Slam bullets in recent years.

Want to try the new 4451 powder. And I must work up some loads for my son's .270 Browning BAR (the Winchester FailSafe was such a match for his rifle that I stopped reloading for him - and then, of course, FailSafe was dropped).

Thanks again for the reply and for your loading info.

Hello,
I am reloading for a Model 700 in 270. A friend traded into this rifle which is pristine and made in May of 1983. The gunsmith who pillar bedded the weapon told me he was virtually certain the rifle had never been fired so I have been breaking it in like its a Bartlein or Krieger barrel. The barrel itself is only 22 inches long. I know I can fill this case with 4831 and it will work but I want to gain the efficiency of having the powder burn IN the barrel and not out by the muzzle. So I am going to be using powder in the ranges from IMR 4350 to Varget for more complete combustion and will drag out the chronograph to find out which works best in this rifle.

I have tried Corelokts and they are a minute of angle and have had good luck previously with Accubonds in 2 different calibers. They are long bullets but this is a long action, so seating should not be a major problem. Is there anybody out there who has used 130 Accubonds in a 270? What worked best for you?

Thanks,

WW
I have had very good groups with Core-Lokt 130s over anything else with IMR4831. I bought them in bulk from Natchez 20 years ago and just about out of them now. Working currently on finding a load with a variety of bullets I have on hand, but the powders you are working with will do fine. I haven't used Varget but I have that around as well.

Thank You JJMP, Exactly what JJMP just said in response to your question. I simply meant to suggest "don't shoot the deer in the shoulder." This bullet work very well when you shoot the deer in the Chest and Heart and Lung Aera. So please look at this picture , I shot this deer , and droped it with one shot , using the usual130 Grn. Ballistic Tips, at the request of the outfitter the week AFTER a Hand Gun Hunter , using some Giant 460 Smith and Wesson Pistol, with a scope, shot it in the shoulder. The shooter was very angry ,and would not believe the outfitter that the deer was still alive , so he said to me , If you see the deer shoot it ,so he could then send it to the handgun hunter . So, I try not to ever shoot a deer in the shoulder.

Attachments

• Lenny Foffo 2009 006.JPG
    Lenny Foffo 2009 006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • Lenny Foffo 2009 004.JPG
    Lenny Foffo 2009 004.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
And I must work up some loads for my son's .270 Browning BAR.

Just a word of caution when you get around to loading for the BAR - 4831 is too slow of a powder to make the gas system work properly. Max load I could go is 57 gr (with H4831SC). Any more and you will have issues with timing, resulting in case head damage and excess wear in the gun.

4350 works great, as well as 4064.

Welcome you are Lenny,and thank you also for being so Kind ,great post & pic's I've always enjoyed your answer's. Cheers to all posters!!!. OP, sometimes it pays to experiment with your bullets seating ,all chambers and leads are cut different, pretty sure the Original 270 factory loads were 3160 ish , to day most are watered down ,but that's where reloading shines!!!.

Just a word of caution when you get around to loading for the BAR - 4831 is too slow of a powder to make the gas system work properly. Max load I could go is 57 gr (with H4831SC). Any more and you will have issues with timing, resulting in case head damage and excess wear in the gun.

4350 works great, as well as 4064.
Thank you, Stammster! I appreciate the word of caution...and I'll follow it.