Accubond performance - only 13.43% weight retention

ss7mm

Got out today to do some shooting and my buddy was playing with some Nosler 140 grain Accubonds in his 270 Allen Magnum. This load is very mild in his gun and is actually about 200 fps under max but it's super accurate, putting 3 into a ragged hole at 100 and 3 into about 3/4" at 300.

The fella that owns the land where we shoot had recently replaced his gong at 300 yards. Seems like some dummy with one of those new fangled Allen Mags had punched several holes through it and then, just for good measure, had ripped the gong off of the chains with the final shot. We promised him we wouldn't shoot his new virgin gong, but he let it hang there for a week and never shot it, so we felt it just had to be broken in.

My buddy put the first one almost through it with his 270 AM and a friend that was shooting with us, shot it with his factory 270 Win and factory 130 PSP ammo. There's a little difference in the craters. Looks like a little driver error there on the 270 AM as he's about half a crater left of center. Not bad accuracy considering no definite aiming point on that goofy red colored plate.
DSC02528withtextMedium.jpg

I got lucky and found what was left of the Accubond laying in the dust in front of the gong. I guess some would complain that the Accubond failed the weight retention test, as it only retained 13.43% of it's weight and finished at 18.8 grains weight. Diameter, as recovered, was .508" and thickness is .162"
DSC02539withtextMedium.jpg

DSC02538withtextMedium.jpg

I think that pill may make it through a deer at that range. I would bet an elk would be in serious trouble with a clean lung shot as well.

Hopefully we will see some clean holes here in a week or so if you know what I mean!!! Ya got any sleep yet, me either!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just for information, what load are you using in the 270 AM and the velocity specs. If your running 200 fps under max I would guess in the 3400-3450 fps range???

Kirby Allen(50)

Nope, not much sleep. I just keep twitching, mumbling and staring off into space. My wife finally gave up on me and has just accepted it for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As you know, my lot of WC872 is faster than yours, but maximum, which started to give some slight resistance on bolt lift, was 100.1 grains at 3727fps through the Oehler at 10'. This load he's shooting now is 96.6 grains of WC872 under the Nosler 140 grain Accubond, lit by a Federsl 215 primer at 3558 fps. I don't make the rules I just live by them and accept the results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, am I ever liking what I'm hearing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Looks like the Win will do at 85 yards what the AM will do at 300 if you load the AM down abit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif With those little 140gr pills.

I have a couple of hides set up where the Yote snipeing will be 600yds and beyond. It's a bit of a long crawl to a couple of them but my drag bag will be finished on Tuesday.

I have a feelin' its gonna be a fun winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looks good SS

I've been shooting the270AM a lot lately and she has quickly reminded me of the awesome power Kirby gave her. We have been preparing for a local competition where we shoot steel targets. First off I am not expecting to win, Terry Cross and a few other famous shooters are gonna be in it so I am out just to have fun, to bad I gotta leave at 3 in the morning to get there!!!

At 800yds I am still shooting through 1/2" steel plates. This is not high quality Hardox stuff like Shawn Carlock is shooting at but still I am impressed. Looks like even though I may not win I might still **** a few guys off when I blow holes in there targets!!! Hey they said 30cal and under, its just a little ol' 270!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week BJ, DistantFoe, and a buddy named Adam were shooting when I arrived late. they had been shooting a 270AM, 300RUM, and 6mm-250 at 975yds, I joined them at the distant gong and the first thing they said was ****!!! The difference in how fast my bullet got there compared to theirs was amazing, it wasnt apparent it was obvious!!!!

good shooting buddy

steve

Roy:

The little Accubond has to work to get almost through the plate but the 169.5s in the 270 AM and the 200s in the 7mm AM at this range just blow right through it. It's just mild steel, not anything hard or tough. I've got a couple of plates of AR500 but I haven't got the frames made for them yet.

Sounds like the ol yotes are gonna be in trouble this winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lerch:

Good luck with your shoot. Just treat the steel like you do the old prairie dogs and you'll do just great. Don't put any extra pressure on yourself and just try and have fun. You never know what might happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe if you get to go first, and there's no targets left for anybody else, you could win by default. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want to improve your weight retention on steel targets just try some Lapua scenars. Most likely, you would have full penetration on your gong and have to ask the rancher 2 miles down the road if he heard your bullet impact his hay stack. Then you could dig it out and mic it and probably reload it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Oh, but wait, I don't think they make a Scenar in .277 do they?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts