Accubond bullets

loghome

I was wondering if anyone else has ever ran into this problem with accubond bullets. I got five boxes all the same lot number. And I have about a box of them now that the tips are broke off. A lot of them are already broke off in the box when I open it.

PXL_20210411_120429994.jpg

this was a problem years ago with older lots but have not heard of it in the newer lots in the last couple of years. I was told it was a reaction with the flux used in the bonding process and that the problem was solved by the people at Nosler

Yeah there was probably six or eight in each box when I opened them but I went through them and pushed on them a little bit I ended up with about a box out of five that broke off

now that I see your pics that is the same problem but those boxes are the newer lots and I only seen this with the older ones

Yeah I ran into this problem last fall with the recoil of the gun it was breaking them off in the magazine. I thought about changing bullets but I have my scope custom turrets and everything set up for these.

I had this same experience with an older lot of bullets. I contacted Nosler who verified the date of manufacture and promptly sent me replacement boxes. They did not want the old bullets back.

Just for laughs I loaded some of the worst looking bullets up. They shot quite well and grouped into the same cluster at 100yd/200yds.

I thought about loading them up using them around home here. I wasn't sure how they would react with the hole in the front like that. Made me a little leery of shooting them

i switched to ballistic tip or ballistic silver tips and never had the problem again and they shot the same so unless you need the bonded bullet performance maybe a switch is in order
the ballistic silver tips seem to be tougher then the plain ballistic tips they aren't as explosive on impact at higher velocities

I was wondering if anyone else has ever ran into this problem with accubond bullets. I got five boxes all the same lot number. And I have about a box of them now that the tips are broke off. A lot of them are already broke off in the box when I open it.
Just curious, did you buy these recently from a retailer? Or did you buy these from an individual?
I have loaded probably about 1,000 7mm 160 grain Accubond bullets over the past several years and have only had 2 bullets with defective tips, and these tips weren't broken, they looked like they got too close to some heat and possibly melted.
If your boxes are in fact a recently manufactured lot, then this is concerning for sure. As has been stated above, this issue was supposed to be corrected years ago.
Keep us posted on what your hear from Nosler

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.