A red downed by a 140 Berger

I used to be able to post pics but cant find the tool..

anyway, off I went for the hunt.- All set up in case I had to take a long shot, the Bergers leaving the muzzle at 3.000 ft/ s +.. And as hunting means expect the unexpected, I had to take a shot offhand at scarcely 25 m. at a deer that was out of the bush and heading donwhill, at almost no angle.I could just see his antlers, head and part of the top of his back.

Aimed quickly and took the shot.- he went down hard, he couldn´t move but had to finnish him.

The Berger did not exit and completely broke the shoulder and probably hit the spine, since the animal did not move.

I could not find the bullet but it had made an impressive wound after penetrating the skin, only to be sen after retiring the skin.

I killed a deer some years ago with my 7rm and a 160 accubond.- it broke both shoulders and exited but the shot was taken at 400 yds.

The Berger has held up well enough to put the animal down, and I think if it had not hit bone it would have exited even at such close range.

I had doubts about using the 130 accubonds but finally decided on the Bergers for the extra 10 grains and their better BC. I wonder what the accubond would have done .. maybe it would have exited but I doubt the damage would have been so extense.

All in all, no complains... the bullet did its job.

Berger states that their VLD bullets will "penetrate up to 3 inches before it starts to expand. This delayed expansion results in a wound channel that is deep inside the vital area of any big game. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 80% to 90% of its weight into the surrounding tissue traveling as deep as 18 inches". I am going to try their 30 cal. 155 VLD bullet from my 30X47 HBR at 2750 fps on deer this year.

..alg (sorry don't know how to get the accent above the "a".

RE: Posting Pics.

The "trick" is in Photobucket.

Under the Pic in Photobucket there are some choices.

Hover the cursor over Direct link and right click.
A pop up will say something like "Link copied" which means its copied to your clip board.

Then in LRH click on the icon with the Mountains and Postage Stamp (Insert Image).

P1060172.jpg

The paste (Cntrol-C) into the drop down that appears and its a done deal.

Wow, talk about a deep throat! Pretty sweet lookin'

RT2506,
In tests with the 25-06 and bergers show that they perform exactly as Berger says at least in a 700# Boar Hog. 18" penetration behind the shoulder. Complete penetration through both front or rear leg bones with out direction deviation. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Thaks Roy.

As for the accent or ¨, it´s a PITA and I should eliminate that.-

re pics, I used to be able to do it but when I post a reply or start a new thread I do not see the option any more.- maybe it has to do with my low info profile?

Anyway, in order to get this thing done, I am copying the links and I would appreciate if you could post the pics directly .. I gather you were able to see the picture in the link I posted. Please feel free not to do it if it causes you any inconvenience.

Here´s one of the deer:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/algpics/P1060163.jpg

Here´s another with a "brother" of the cartridge that put him down on his forehead:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/algpics/P1060152.jpg

And here is the result of the 140 Berger entering from behind and hitting the shoulder

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/algpics/P1060165.jpg

alg,

Here ya go:

Got to your profile then
Settings & Options
Edit Options
Scroll all to the very bottom window (Misc Options)
Select "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG- Editing

then see if the options appear for the pics.

Yes it works.- Thanks a lot and thanks for posting the pics.

Now I´ll see if I can give the Bergers a try at a longer range:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts