A new rifle that breaks the rules

Pureblood

A while ago I bought a WK 181 C , it's basically an updated AR 180 chambered in 7.62 X 39. It had a typical mil spec trigger which I was not happy with. I decided to get a Triggertech for it as I know they are great triggers, this time I went for a two stage "duty trigger " and I'm very happy with it.

IMG_4992.JPG

I shoot home loads in it that are made by using bullets and powder from military surplus with commercial brass and non corrosive primers. I have used these loads for years in my CZ 527 and consistently get 2 1/2" groups at 100 meters with it. I would have been happy if In could do as well with my WK 181, but I did not really expect it as it's a semi auto, and it's common knowledge semi autos are not as accurate as bolt action rifles.
I soon discovered that my new rifle would easily outshoot my CZ, I can shoot 2" 20 shot groups with it on a steel gong, and that's without taking my time, Taking my time I can consistently shoot 1" groups with it. I told a few people how accurate the rifle is but I'm sure they don't believe me, and I can't say that I blame them really.
I came to the conclusion that this was a fluke once in a lifetime rifle that I would have to take extra special care of, and I bought another one so I would not wear it out. The rifle is the same but it came with a fancy folding stock. I installed a TriggerTech duty trigger as with the other one.

IMG_5890.JPG

It was only 6 inches low on paper at 50 yards, and it soon became apparent that this was also an accurate rifle, 8 shots and I moved to my brand new 12" gong at 100.

four shot
IMG_5892.JPG
1/2 " at 100 meters, I've had worse days:rolleyes:

Yes I'm pulling bullets and using the powder in new brass.

I shot the same ammo in my CZ yesterday. It's a 4 shot group, and I did pull one shot, but it's nowhere near as good as the WK 181's

IMG_5908.JPG

IMG_5909.JPG

I will take a trip down to the shooting range and see how they do there . 7.62 X 39 is not really a long range round, but we will see.

What I would really like to know is what makes these semi autos be so much better than bolt action CZ 527 ?
The CZ has an amazing set trigger, it breaks at 1 lb with no creep whatsoever.

Have no idea what powder that is, and old military FMJ bullets are not noted for great accuracy. Try a well known powder that was made for that case size and 120, 130 grain bullets and I'm betting you will have much better accuracy. Powder like CFE 223, Alliant Power Pro varmit. Reloader 10 X, H322 h4198. Bullets like 123 SST from Hornady,.Basically, a known load. Not trying to be insulting, but pulling unknown powder and guessing at the charge weight is asking for problems.

Have no idea what powder that is, and old military FMJ bullets are not noted for great accuracy. Try a well known powder that was made for that case size and 120, 130 grain bullets and I'm betting you will have much better accuracy. Powder like CFE 223, Alliant Power Pro varmit. Reloaded 10 X. 123 SST from Hornady, . basically, a known load. Not trying to be insulting, but pulling unknown powder and guessing at the charge weight is asking for problems.
I did not guess the powder weight, I weighed it, If you look you will see it's in the bowl from a set of scales. I can assure you that the powder was made for 7.62X 39, it came out of an X39 case.

I have an 8 pound jug of CFE 223, it's OK but no better than the proper X39 powder. I have compared hornady bullets with the milsurp bullets, there is no difference in accuracy.

The purpose of the comparison was to show the vast difference in performance between the WK181 and the CZ 527 with the same ammo.

Last edited:
I have loaded for the 7.62 x 39 and gotten good accuracy. I was running IMR 4198 with a WLR primer at 24 grains with a 123 ZombieMax or a 123 Hornady PSP. Anyway, this was with a Yugo AK M70B1. Zastava made a 24" barrel variant of this gun that was designed for 400 meter Sniping. I got a minute out of mine and was pleasantly surprised. I don't think they should be underestimated. With a little tweaking, I think you can get the 7.62 X 39 shooting pretty well.

I have loaded for the 7.62 x 39 and gotten good accuracy. I was running IMR 4198 with a WLR primer at 24 grains with a 123 ZombieMax or a 123 Hornady PSP. Anyway, this was with a Yugo AK M70B1. Zastava made a 24" barrel variant of this gun that was designed for 400 meter Sniping. I got a minute out of mine and was pleasantly surprised. I don't think they should be underestimated. With a little tweaking, I think you can get the 7.62 X 39 shooting pretty well.
I don't need to tweak anything it's perfect. I don't think I will ever get better than 1/2 MOA.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have good barrels chambered just right for those hand loads. Do you plan on hunting with your auto loaders or shooting at your range? If hunting, I would pick a different bullet, but for banging steel, have fun.

It sounds like you have good barrels chambered just right for those hand loads. Do you plan on hunting with your auto loaders or shooting at your range? If hunting, I would pick a different bullet, but for banging steel, have fun.
I don't plan on hunting, it's no challenge around here. But I have 100 Hornady ballistic tip bullets if I ever need to.

The WK181 has a1:9.5" barrel twist as opposed to 1:9" with the CZ. Maybe that has something to do with it ?

I did not guess the powder weight, I weighed it, If you look you will see it's in the bowl from a set of scales. I can assure you that the powder was made for 7.62X 39, it came out of an X39 case.

I have an 8 pound jug of CFE 223, it's OK but no better than the proper X39 powder. I have compared hornady bullets with the milsurp bullets, there is no difference in accuracy.

The purpose of the comparison was to show the vast difference in performance between the WK181 and the CZ 527 with the same ammo.

You still don't know what powder the Russians, or whoever made those rounds used. I'm saying use a known powder and weight for a known bullet will increase your accuracy. I never said that you didn't weight that powder. I can see the pan you have it in. No insult intended. Just a recommendation.