A few from Big Bend NP (TX)

Mike6158

I like to do a little photography from time to time. I've been to Big Bend NP / Terlingua more times than I can count. Here's a few:

Terlingua Ghost Town Cemetery. They still plant folks there.

p2059150300-4.jpg

Cattail Falls. This required an unscheduled quick trip to the park. It doesn't "fall" this good very often. I hauled a 4x5 film camera in there and shot it on black and white film too.

p740749180-6.jpg

Delta 100 in a 4x5

p99009823-5.jpg

Mariscal Mine. One of my favorite sites to visit. They mined cinnabar then burned the ore to vaporize the mercury in a big wood fired furnace (seen just below the 3 condensers). They hauled wood in from 100's of miles away after they cut everything out of the high Chisos. There was a bottling plant on the back side. The mercury was used for bomb fuses in WWI and WWII. The mine never made money.

p1492028663-5.jpg

Santa Elena Canyon by Moonlight (if you look close you'll see the stars in the sky. Another last minute planned trip. I happened to check the alignment of the rising moon with the canyon and it was near perfect. I ended up shooting it a night earlier than planned because the hostess told me that the weather was going south by morning. She was right. BTW - that's the RIo Grande River. It's literally the border between TX and MX.

p1733374676-4.jpg

Rain in the desert is magical. Shot from Sotol Vista
p2002296086-4.jpg

Sotol Vista Sunset
p173180069-5.jpg

East side. Boquillas Canyon.
p2997538123-5.jpg

Boquillas Canyon at Sunset
p2997544183-5.jpg

Cerro Castellan (night). The white formation is called tuff. It starts as powdery ash.
p1881657582-5.jpg

The Rio Grande river backed into a normally dry creek. Sometimes we get gifts from nature
p690034703-5.jpg

Sometimes I'll make a trip specifically to shoot a timelapse. There are apps that will figure out when something, like the center of the Milky Way, rises over a certain place or feature, like Carousel Mountain in Big Bend. Hopefully I did this right. I have a lot more from other states and locations in TX but this'll do...

Last edited:
Man, those pictures refresh memories decades old. We hunted Brewster Co South of Sanderson for 20+ years. Rode in a high rack truck countless miles and hours. The TransPecos high desert is as rough as it comes yet so very beautiful.

Everything 60-100 miles north is filled with drilling rigs, compressor stations, etc (I work in that industry so not complaining ). The park has been fairly well protected. The skies are still dark. For a while tourism was way up (too up) but it's getting back to normal now.

Terlingua, sadly, has been infested with vacation rental owners. They've scattered old mobile homes all over the place and land prices went through the roof. It won't last. It can't... so places will be abandoned.

The park was an Apache hunting ground. There's a faint trail that criss crosses 385 and continues past Fort Stockton 60-ish miles to the north. Pancho Villa raided there when people lived on ranches in the area. At one time there was a Cavalry presence. The history of the place is amazing. Geology too.

Last edited: