A bolt ss boss or sendero sf

Oregonhunter

Well,I actually shoot both of these exept my Browning does'nt have the BOSS system,after talking to some local shooters around my area I found most did'nt like the Boss very much. So I decited to go without it.

They are quiet differant guns, My Sendero is in the 300 RUM and to be honest I would go with the Sendero if you are looking for a long range weapon that you dont plan on packing for hours. Its not like packing around a car or anything but can get a little heavy at times.

As far as the Brownings they have their fans and their critics. Personaly I really like mine,I have both a stainless and a composite
stalker. I have heard things like they dont shoot well,but I have to disagree.My A-bolts have never let me down yet and shoot really well, I like the 60 degree bolt and my faverite feature on them would be the location of the safety.

I have used the a-bolt for about 16 years and the Remington for 3 years now, I really dont regret buying either models, if you are refering to the Eclipse version of the A-bolt then weight is around a lb.or so in differance and there wont be any great debate over the weight advantage,but if its the sporter version A-bolt your refering to,I have found the Browning is easier for me to pack.

I have taken some fairly long shots with both guns and both have done well,if I missed it was my fault not the guns.
(Sorry for the long reply!)

Good Luck!

Rob
grin.gif

never shot a sendero, though ive heard alot of good. This past year my scope broke the day before we started hunting in North Carolina and didnt have money to buy a new one or time to send it back to the factory and my gun doesnt have sights. So I ended up using one of the so called "guides" rifles, a browning A-bolt medallion in 7mm rem mag. Shot three deer in two days with it. I absolutley loved that gun. As far as accuracy it was pretty good, i could shoot a soda can at 200 yards, didnt shoot any paper so i dont know what kind of groups it would shoot. Oh yeah it had a boss, i wouldnt recommend them, After every shot my ears would ring for 10 minutes or so
frown.gif

I am most interested in accuracy. Which shoots better groups. Especially at long range. I guess I haven't heard of A Bolts actions winning any matches lately?

A-bolts, Wby, Savage, Wins, -their like 70s mustang, camaro, GTO, chargers. Remingtons are Novas. Most hot rodders went Nova as it was easiest to change. Thus, an aftermarket bonanza insued for them. Oddly enough though, No matter what you did to a nova, no matter how it performed in the end. Even if you spent a fortune building a fiberglass Nova clone with cutting edge technology, It remained 'just another nova'. Worthless. Cute 70s fad.
If you want to be like everyone else, go Nova. And go to the races cheap.

Choosing between an A-Bolt stainless stalker with the BOSS or Sendero SF both in 300wm.

The browning - Barrel-Free floating, glass bedded at the recoil lug to maintain the proper spacing around the barrel and provide consistent accuracy. Recessed muzzle. Bolt-60 degree throw. Utilizes a non-rotating bolt sleeve that runs the entire length of the bolt. When unlocked, three guide ribs on the bolt sleeve align with the three locking lugs to allow the bolt to slide smoothly. When locked, these three lugs provide massive bolt strength. The A-Bolt feeds very smoothly because of its unique, patented cartridge depressor. This cartridge depressor stays in position, independent of the bolt rotation, as the bolt slides gently over the cartridges in the magazine. The bolt face is recessed, completely surrounding the cartridge base.

Sendero - i dont need to add anything everyone says its good.

you gotta give the nod to the Sendero for long range accuracy potential.

And forget that car analogy -- which has as much worth as a non-running Nova.

The Remington 700 is the basis for more customized target rifles because it is a superior design. Perfect? No. But a better platform than ANY of those others mentioned, with the exception of Savage. But you're not contemplating a Savage, are you?
smile.gif

Sendero all the way. If it won't shoot 3/4 MOA or better out to 1,000y, then you could sell the stock for $150, sell the take-off barrel for $100, and then send the action to Gre-Tan and get it trued and have the basis for a 1/4-1/2 MOA rifle.

How many Weatherby or Browning actions will you see at an F-Class or 1,000y BR match? Zero. And that's not a coincidence.
rolleyes.gif

By the way, the World Record 'Light Gun' 5-shot group at 1,000y is held by Bill Schrader. He shot 1.473" (scoring 50 of 50) using a customized Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag. There's some evidence for you.

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

I have a browning A Bolt 3006 with the boss and I do not like the boss at all. I know several people that got the same gun as I did and they do not like it either. I even went out and got the boss CR and I still do not like it. I am almost ready to get a different barrel on it. It shoots alright, but it is so loud.

Thread Hijack Alert!
Christopher. If you dislike BOSS so much, contact Kevin Knight at High Performance Gunsmiths. I believe he once told me he could easily make a threaded protector cap that would go over BOSS.
Hijacking over.

Original post.
I believe you have to look at the rest of your arsenal to make a decision. The Sendero is obviously going to the be better long range rifle and more consistent performer. If however you don't have a larger rifle and it is going to serve more than just the long range role then a lighter weight rifle can be considered.
Based on my arsenal it would hands down be the Sendero.

Thanks quiethunter, the boss is too loud for the 3006. The recoil from that gun is way too small to need it. I appreciate the info. I think that I would definitely go with the sendero.

Just to clarify -

The BOSS is just the barrel weight that attempts to tune a factory load to the barrel just like a hand loader attempts to do.

The muzzle brake is what makes the gun loud. But the benefit is reduced recoil. Trade offs!
grin.gif

Everyone I have talked to says that they only use the CR on BOSS equipped rifles.

I have decided on the sendero
smile.gif

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]

I have both and each has their strengths and weaknesses. The bolt in the A-Bolt is oustanding, the stock is the worst, BOSS- big deal. On the Sendero the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired but it's real strength is you can get any type of aftermarket component for it - want a tactical stock, no problem. Want a picatinny rail for the remington, no problem. Try to get one of those for the Browning and it's like pulling teeth.

Sometimes I think I should have got a Sako, I hear nothing but good about those.

JK

I have handled both, and shot both, the A-Bolt, and the Sendero. If you are looking for Accuracy, the Sendero gets the Nod HANDSDOWN!! But, if you need a light, hunting rifle you can carry around, the A-Bolt, is nice. But,i would not let 1-2 pounds make your decision for you. When it came to grouping, the A-Bolt, can't hold a candle to the Sendero. My best group with my Sendero 300WM was .3 the best i could get with the a bolt was right around .7. Both are good, I just prefer the Sendero in my safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.