A Baffling Buffet of Bullets

I had read some of this thread. Great idea. I kinda have been doing this with various
I started the thread to prove a point. Some people complain about the prices or the lack of components but do not prepare for it.
I ordered 4 more boxes of shells to take out to the ranch. Federal Fusion 120 and 140 , Hornady Precision Hunters ELDx 150 and Barnes VorTx ttsx bt 120. Should keep me busy for a day.
I have excellent luck with Winchester Deer Season XP in 6.5 CM and .308 Win, and they usually are $5 cheaper than most.
And thanks for all those other links to bullets, didn't know there was so many choices.
You're quite welcome. Yes, it is more than most people know. I am sure I am missing some out there.

Last edited:
Browning X-Bolt, 22" barrel : 120gr Hammer Hunter + Varget, very accurate and fast. 140gr Accubond and 140gr Ballistic Tips. IMR4350 very accurate and slow but efficient out to 300 yards. That's as far as I've killed a few deer including a 225lb plus whitetail buck DRT. AB's are excellent but BT's all you need unless your hunting elk. On same page as Birddog68.

I believe a lot of them missed the factory ammo part. lol 😆
🤣, a few did. It's all good. I appreciate all of the responses and info/links. But my main focus rt is to find a 400yrd factory loaded bullet out of my Tikka. This all started with me seeing deer way out past the feeder milling around and chasing does. Big deer! My ol 30-30 just wasn't going to get it done.

🤣, a few did. It's all good. I appreciate all of the responses and info/links. But my main focus rt is to find a 400yrd factory loaded bullet out of my Tikka. This all started with me seeing deer way out past the feeder milling around and chasing does. Big deer! My ol 30-30 just wasn't going to get it done.
You can always refer back to these threads when you do start reloading.

If you want to learn a little bit about bullet construction Petey308 has a few threads to read. He shows you some differences in different bullets. Here is one of the links https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/sectioned-barnes-match-burner.291216/post-2407204

400yrds. Deer. 7/08.

Literally any hunting bullet will do the job, a deer won't know the difference.

Buy a few different boxes of whatever you can find in stock and see what shoots best in your rifle.

No need to overthink it.
@30-GT, yep, but make sure they are the same lot#. Below is an example of my 6.5 CM using Winchester Deer Season XP.

3-shot group at 300Y.
1707215826087.jpeg

5-shot group at 300Y, still not too bad.
1707215738485.jpeg

@30-GT - There has been a ton of good advice here. Best approach for now is to just try different off the shelf ammo and see what your rifle likes. I completely understand your situation as I waited a long time to start reloading. The lack of time was the main reason I told myself to wait. Once you start you will open up a whole new world in your enjoyment of shooting and knowledge of this wonderful past time. The great folks here helped me tremendously along the way.

400yrds. Deer. 7/08.

Literally any hunting bullet will do the job, a deer won't know the difference.

Buy a few different boxes of whatever you can find in stock and see what shoots best in your rifle.

No need to overthink it.
This above. Since you're not reloading, you won't be able to tune a load to your rifle. I'd by a box of every hunting ammo you can find. Choose the one that groups the best, and then concentrate on learning how to dial up your yardages. The new Garmin chrono is a great investment, as is a ballistic software program.

Last edited:
I missed this post, had forgotten the Hornady whitetail with the Interlock, that stuff also shoots great.
I'll bet these Hornady Whitetail 139 Interlock shoot pretty darn well.
I haven't seen a 7-08 rifle yet that didn't shoot them pretty well.

I helped a friend sight in a Tikka T3x 7mm-08 with the same scope you have and it'll put 3 in the same hole @100 yards with Hornady Whitetail 139 ammo.