Catalog of bullets

CTI1USNRET

Does there exist a catalog of bullets sorted by caliber and terminal ballistics? I'd love to find something where all bullets were tested in a common medium and has comments like, "failed to expand below xxxx fps, performed well between xxxx and xxxx, and blew up beyond xxxx fps. Penetrated xx inches at xxxx fps."

Impact velocities.

Take the pictures with a grain of salt. As an example, one may conclude from them that the Matchking breaks up too easily to perform well in killing big game animals. And yet, many, many of our members (myself included) have had great results with them.

I hope this picture posting works well enough. I am not sure you'll be able to see the details. Let me know if not and I'll email full-size files for better viewing..

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

[ 10-16-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Hey Len could you ship it to me or post the link please. I remember seeing this a few months ago and forgot where I saw it. I was just recently talking about this chart with a friend of mine.

Should I assume that the Nosler J4s are performing like the SMKs in the field? I did a search and read a number of comments that said they were but I wondered if you had any inside info. I am planning on shooting the J4s exclusively in my .308 win and this will include shots on deer out to 600Y and coyotes far enough to get in the 1k club.

Also using midway as a reference, the J4s are the least expensive 165-168 gr 30 cal bullet if you exclude remingtons bulk offerings for flat base spire point.

Thanks.

As far as J4 Jackets are concerned...I used them for years in making .30 caliber matchgrade bullets for highpower competition and they are accurate but IMO...the jackets are not designed with enough structural integrity for hunting usage. The Sierra jackets are thicker and I believe would work better if you intend to shoot a target grade projectile!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.