9mm side arm

My initial thought was a warden caught it in a cage last year or earlier, shot it in the head knocked it cold. Then pulled him out, where shortly thereafter said bear came around and broke for it.

Wound is fairly level, frontal shot, bullet entered just above the eyes slid up the skull 1"-2"'s. Guessing close range and intentional.

Well that didn't take long…didn't even look at the 10mm Tac XP rounds….I stand corrected, they are within sneezing distance from an ME perspective.

That being said I own one Glock and I'm about as accurate with that gun as a weatherman's forecast…..maybe the M&P 10mm is in my future…you mentioned Sig Sauer and the P320, I have one and shoot it well, do they have a 10mm caliber X change kit now?
I have. Glock 20 10mm and Springfield XDM in 10mm. The Glock is way more accurate and no grip safety like Springfield. I'd carry my Glock 21 in 45 auto with hardcast before Springfield XDM 10mm. my revolvers in 460 S&W, 454 Cassull, 44 mag are too big and heavy and limited to 5 to 6 shots. No thanks

Most people will get eaten by an attacking bear because they will never hit it in a vital spot to stop it. Just think about how often do they or you practice rapid firing and able to place shots in a well placed POI…not much I bet. However, carry that big ole gun if it makes you feel better…or if you do, learn to use it.
👍🏼

I have. Glock 20 10mm and Springfield XDM in 10mm. The Glock is way more accurate and no grip safety like Springfield. I'd carry my Glock 21 in 45 auto with hardcast before Springfield XDM 10mm. my revolvers in 460 S&W, 454 Cassull, 44 mag are too big and heavy and limited to 5 to 6 shots. No thanks
I'm happy you shoot your Glock well….wasn't the question I asked however. The post I was responding to was in regards to a ballistics conversation where I didn't realize the 10mm was in spitting distance to the 357 mag and credited the gentleman who brought it to my attention. I DON'T shoot my Glock well but the gentleman had mentioned that Sig now has a P320 in 10mm, I asked if that was also available in the caliber X change kits they offer for the P320 (I have one and shoot my P320 well).

Which gen do you have for the Glock? I have the new gen5 in 9mm and I've practiced with it (not as much as I should) but am markedly worse with the 43x than I was with my primary EDC I had before the S&W M&P shield 2.0. I also have an M&P compact 2.0 that I shoot really well and the Sig P320 (though that one took a little getting used to before I was comfortable with it). I think the Glock 20 is still Gen 4 right? I don't know if it's the trigger on the Glock or what (maybe I'd do better with an apex flat trigger?) but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my 43x whereas I could empty a magazine center mass on a silhouette with either S&W at 15-20 yards as quick as I could pull the trigger.

Which gen do you have for the Glock? I have the new gen5 in 9mm and I've practiced with it (not as much as I should) but am markedly worse with the 43x than I was with my primary EDC I had before the S&W M&P shield 2.0. I also have an M&P compact 2.0 that I shoot really well and the Sig P320 (though that one took a little getting used to before I was comfortable with it). I think the Glock 20 is still Gen 4 right? I don't know if it's the trigger on the Glock or what (maybe I'd do better with an apex flat trigger?) but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my 43x whereas I could empty a magazine center mass on a silhouette with either S&W at 15-20 yards as quick as I could pull the trigger.
Also should note I have hands the size of an average size 11 year old 😂 so something with a chunky grip or a trigger that takes some distance to reach generally robs me of accuracy significantly.

Gen 4 Glock 20. 3.5 lb bar. Lowered to 5.0 lb. I Glock 21 lowered to 3.5 lb. I have a Glock 48 9mm I like. A Glock 44 .22 cal. With a horrendous trigger. Springfield Hellcat 9mm nice trigger. XDM 10 mm ok trigger. 43x won't fit my hand but with 15 round mag in Hellcat and SIG 365 fits great. lin pretty sure a 10mm in 180 or 200 gr. Is equal or more powerful than a 357 in 157 to 180 gr. I have a couple 357's. I can attest. I carry 200 or 220 hardcast 10mn when I hunt here in Griz land. I have large hands. Just saying a 10mm, .44 or 45 in head better

Last edited:
I took a look at some of the 10mm offerings and the revolver I had initially pegged as one I wanted to carry out in the woods S&W model 60, unloaded it's about 10 oz lighter than either the Glock 20 SF or the Sig P320 X Ten and the capacity is 1/3 of either of those models (5 vs 15). I'm sure the recoil on that model 60 is about as fun as an Amish Strip Club. So lighter but with more recoil and less capacity vs. heavier but far more rounds….stopping power about equal from an energy perspective given the slight differences in barrel size….Decisions 🤔…..

The newest glock 40s and 41s have decent triggers.
When in big bear country, carry a side arm that holds enough rounds to still have available ammo for when the bear gets to you. Imo. My last line of defense will be inserting the muzzle into the growl box and emptying the remainder of the MAGAZINE.

The scenario of of being charged while reloading is not an option.

The newest glock 40s and 41s have decent triggers.
When in big bear country, carry a side arm that holds enough rounds to still have available ammo for when the bear gets to you. Imo. My last line of defense will be inserting the muzzle into the growl box and emptying the remainder of the MAGAZINE.

The scenario of of being charged while reloading is not an option.
I'd have **** my pants and passed out at that point so the extra rounds probably wouldn't be needed😂

Attachments

• 9AEB8841-3A9D-42FF-9039-FCE48C2E2FE3.jpeg
    9AEB8841-3A9D-42FF-9039-FCE48C2E2FE3.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 58
This is a 367-pound bear we harvested Sunday. While fleshing the head I hit an abscess and out popped a 9mm 115 grain solid. No crack or deformation of the skull. Makes a guy think twice about what is enough sidearm!
This proves a great deal about the discussion of 9mm for bear protection. 🐻 Under gunned beware.
For bears? Anything that starts with a .4 ...
I've seen them take a 350 grain 45/70 point blank between the eyes and run off!!! If the angle of the bullet is wrong it'll just follow the scull plate instead of penetrating. I caped out my friends bear last fall, she had 2 different birdshot in her lips nose and left eye which was blind. A third size like 4 buckshot in her brisket and a couple 22 shots in her. Found the one in her belly muscle from a leaving the scene shot and another small scar by her tail. I told my friend he'd be finding the bullet in his meat grinder lol. Bears are a pain in the butt.

This is a 367-pound bear we harvested Sunday. While fleshing the head I hit an abscess and out popped a 9mm 115 grain solid. No crack or deformation of the skull. Makes a guy think twice about what is enough sidearm!

The thought has never crossed my mind to consider a 9mm as a potential bear (or anything else) sidearm!

No doubt, bullet weight and construction play an important role in performance, but IMO, the 9mm is still not a viable option…..there are simply too many much better choices!

If it's all I've got, what was I thinking, it's better than nutt'n! 😉
memtb

Recent Posts