7rum hangfires???

roughneck065

Was developing a load and using several different powder. Tried with rl25 same cci magnum primers and heard click boom. Sounded like muzzle loader going off. Then one of the three didn't even go off. All other powders and loads were fine. Any idea why it did this? Primer pockets were just cleaned and fine prior to loading. Thanks

There is always a problem when this occurs.

It will usually be mechanical.

If one didn't go off I'd be looking closely at the primers.

Try Fed 215s. I've been informed they are the hottest primer out there. Hotter than the 215Ms.

I have hang fires consistently with very slow burning ball powder when not at maximum charge weight. Top load is 99 grains. 95 grains and hang fires start. One of the reasons I disslike US-869.

I'm with royinidaho on this.

I had an issue with one rifle "soft striking", A 300RUM. Cleaning and oiling and decocking fixed it.

IIWM:

• When it happens, don't open the bolt for at least 30 seconds.
  • Clean the firing pin bore in the bolt.
  • Check the firing pin protrusion.
  • Decock the gun when in storage.

If those don't fix it. Get a new firing pin spring.

Regarding primers, FOR ME, CCI are very "hard", Winchester are softer and Federal match are the softest. My preferred for RUMs is the 215M but I am all out. Never had a FTF on a light strike with the 215M.

I'll try to find some 215s heard they were best for big guns....it was weird only ones did it was rl25...had 6 actually all together with that powder that hung up on me...The 7828, retumbo and 50 were all good. That's why I was thinking it wasn't a mechanical just a load problem with the rl25

ive had it in the 300 mag with ball powder and a standard primer (just trying to burn ups some stuff I didn't need) Your combo should be good. A good answers you already got were the light primer strike. I don't buy into the fact that a GOOD cci mag primer wouldn't light off any charge in any gun well. there not as hot as a fed but plenty hot enough to light off large cases of ball powders so re25 should be a piece of cake. What was your accuracy like with the other powders? If it was poor its possible you got a bad batch of primers or contaminated yours. Ive never had bad cci rifle primers but have had bad cci pistol primers in the past and have had bad Remington primers back in the day in every variation. So much so that I refuse to use them anymore even though ive heard there quality has improved. Another thought and I don't know how you do this is plugged primer flash holes. Tumble your brass in walnut media after sizing and depriming and walnut can plug the flash holes. I either check them all before priming or prime before tumbling.

is it remington 700 ? I had the exact same problem as you with a rem 700 bdl 7rum when I fist got it years ago RL25, CCI LRM, 160gr nos ab , anyway I took it to a smith & he could not find anything wrong with anything but he installed a speedlock firring pin assembly anyway & it still did it. I eventually changed to fed 250 mag that the smith gave to me to try I did so not really believing it would change anything but it worked & I don't think it ever did it again and I shot it a lot for many years I still have the gun but it has a 300 rum barrel on it now

I know in there handgun primers the cup material is thicker then anyone elses. It cause misfires in double action revolvers shooting them double action. Any of my comp guns I intended to shoot double action or ANY self defense handgun got nothing but federals because they were the easiest to light off. Maybe its the same for here rifle primers. Ive never had a bolt action gun in 40 years that wouldn't shoot ccis though.
is it remington 700 ? I had the exact same problem as you with a rem 700 bdl 7rum when I fist got it years ago RL25, CCI LRM, 160gr nos ab , anyway I took it to a smith & he could not find anything wrong with anything but he installed a speedlock firring pin assembly anyway & it still did it. I eventually changed to fed 250 mag that the smith gave to me to try I did so not really believing it would change anything but it worked & I don't think it ever did it again and I shot it a lot for many years I still have the gun but it has a 300 rum barrel on it now

I have never had any problems with any brand of primers or powders in anything except in that 7 rum with the cci rl 25 combo I never tried any other powders as I just wanted work up a load & shoot the thing , my rifle has always cratered primers with all loads with the feds I can't remember if it did with cci or not . I was told this is from a oversized firring pin hole in the bolt and pretty common not a big deal but I have to wonder if this possibly could be some of the problem

I messed with it again and all my other powders went of fine with it...im think Ill just forget about rl25 in the 7rum...7828 was shooting just fine..thanks for the replies

I had the exact same thing when I was fire lapping a 300 Win Mag.I was using a light charge of Reloader-22 with a standard large rifle primer.I think it could have been a combination of bad primers and a light dose slow burning powder with a non magnum primer.I still think the primer was the main culprit of the problem.Never had any issues with regular loads after that.

rl25 is one of the best powders for the 7rum with mid weight bullets; with heavies I'd go with rl33, rl50, h50bmg, or the like though. 7828 is a bit fast even for lightweight bullets here.

The 7rum isn't a cartridge for the feint of heart; Sierra won't put it in their book as they set back the lugs on a couple of actions working up data...
With cartridges this overbore, keep the case full, put enough load on the powder (at least a mid weight bullet), and light it with a hot primer. I use nothing but a 215 in my rums and my stw; I usually use the 215 in my pet loads in my other mag. calibers but do use win, rem., or cci mags occasionally...

The cci250 is a rather mild primer all things considered. I will only use it ( or the rem mag. primer) when I want a bit more than a fed. 210/cci 200, but I don't want to burn up my supply of "good" mag. primers. Things like my 375h@h with 4320... that powder will light easily, but the powder column being long calls for a bit more fire.

M700 BDL SS 7Rum
US 869 Fed 215 no problems started at the recommended start load from Hodgdon manual and up to 101.5 and is most accurate so far. Deciding whether to stop there at .48" 3 shots. All in all around 24 shots with the fed 215 and no problems
I have heard many having real good performance with RL25 and would like to try it myself just from what I have seen others saying about it or what they have gotten for performance.

Had the same thing happen with a 7 rum using imr 7828 load that I got somewhere I don't remember anymore. What I came up with is not enough powder in case. Very dangerous from what I have learned. Switched to retumbo which filled up the case never happened again. I don't know what percentage of your case capacity your powder is using up but that's where I would start.

That is what I heard a few times here, is if the case isn't (someone help me here) loaded with enough powder this will happen. Down loading it to get somewhat milder loads I think it's better to find another suitable powder that will fill the case more.
Same thing I found out with the 460 S&W that can be a disaster and that powder charge is only a span of 4grains of h110 where dropping down under 34grains can be dangerous.
I don't know much about 7828 and case capacity but I am leaning towards lower amounts of 7828 in the case may be the problem. That would be my thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.