7mmSTW load

ins2g8r

Hi all, I have a Remington Sendero in 7mmSTW and have bought new reloading equipment and dies, but have not used them yet. I mostly hunt whitetail deer and a trip out west for Elk isn't out of the norm. The end of the month it's Muledeer and Pronghorn hunting in WY. What load, (powder, bullet)would any of you recomend for my use in this gun, any input is welcome, thanks, Scott.

My pet load is 82.0 grains of Reloader 22 with a 140 Grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock. Out of my Remington 700 with a 25.5 inch barrel they are right aobut 3500 FPS. Five one shot kills, very little blood trailing, most animals died in their tracks. Longest shot was 505 yards at a mule deer buck quartering away. The bullet entered just behind the last rib and exited out in front of the off side shoulder. The deer never knew what hit him. when we walked up to him it looked like he was sleeping. His legs were neatly folded up under him. I don't think he even took one step.

Ok thanks, I couldn't find any 140 Grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock in my city, but ordered some and should get them today. How many should I load at a time until I find what my gun likes? Any suggestions as to how many grains to start with, have same supplies as you described, thanks again, Scott.

I am a fanatic about speed so I always start out with the maximum load listed and work from there, contrary to what the loading manuals say. The barnes information that comes with the triple shock bullets will tell you that you may be able to increase from the maximum load a few grains, I have found this to be true without any sign of excess pressure but it did not tighten my groups.

I would load at least a minimum of six rounds for each load you try. Make sure that your barrel is clean and dry. Run a swab through uit to make sure that there is no oil left in the barrel. Shoot three shots and see what they do. Clean the barrel and then shoot the three shots again. This is how I work up my loads. it is very important to clean the barrel well between groups. Try loading in half grain increments. Its amazing what a half a grain change can do to a group.

Good Luck, let me know how you make out.

Allen

Thanks Allen, I am waiting for the UPS truck to pull up, then I am heading back up to the cottage bow hunting, will do what you said, will post what happens when back in town Sunday, thanks again for all your help, sounds like just the load I was looking for.:)

I couldn't get the speed out re-22 in my lilja barreled STW, so I went to h-1000, my load which is crazy but 2 grainds under pressure signs in my rifle is 86 gr of H-1000 behind a 140 nosler for 3552 fps.
RR

Savage 7 STW

140 grn Accubond (loaded to max mag length)
82 grn H-1000
3276 fps

140grn Berger Hunting VLD (..01 off lands)
82 grn H-1000
3300 fps

Both are DRT loads on Deer and pigs.

The load im shooting is not the hottest load but it is imo very accurate, just got done shooting at 250 and shot two in a row three shot groups letting the barrel cool in between groups that measured .67 and .70 center to center. My load is 78gr of H-1000 w/berger 168gr bullets and fed large mag primers. The col with a hornady bullet comparitor is 3.890 and shoots 3075 out of 26in barrel.

Sorry about the run on sentence not the best at typing.

Nathan.

Going to try loading tonite now that I have what I need, only question I have is how deep do I seat bullets? To overall case legnth? I will look in reloading manual when I get home to see if it tells in there. Thanks for everyones help, I will let you know how it turns out.

I load my accubonds to mag box length and the bergers just off the lands so they are not jamed if I need to extract the live round. That way i don't accidentally pull a bullet in the field.

Ok, had a problem installing my primers but bought a new universal hand priming tool on lunch today. Bought new powder (r22) and wanted to get new primers but all I can find are winchester large rifle for standard loads, or I use the federal magnum ones I have that are about 12 years old. Any sugestions? Also was going to start at 80 grains, and go up 1/2 grain untill 82. 6 shells each

Trouble seating primers? I my experience some new brass primer pockets are not uniform or deep enough. Don't deform the primer trying to force it into poorly formed pockets. The primer anvils are not that hard to deform.

You will need a carbide primer pocket uniformer (large) from Sinclair or (others). Proper large primer pocket depth is 0.128" to 0.132".

If stored properly the 12 year old primers should be OK.

Yes, my problem was getting the auto primer attached to the press and working properly, I just bought a hand primer on lunch and it worked great, since I was going to try the Barnes TSX tipped first, their web site showed COAL of 3.560" so I set to that length, and they also showed using the same "old" primers I had, so I loaded with those, same recipe as their info, and I also loaded with standard primers and will check for any differences in accuracy or speed. One thing I would like to ask you all is would I benefit from putting Brownells Acraglas gel or a SVL barrel de-resonator on my Sendero, (stainless bull barrel and composite stock)? Thank you all for input and help, this was my first time loading my own shells and you made it a breezegun)

Hello all, just got back from my Mule deer hunt in Wyoming, my gun liked 82 grains of R22, Federal 215 primers and 140grain Barnes tipped TSX bullets, 3 shot groups you could cover with a quarter. Out west I took a 353 yard shot at a Mule Deer buck and he dropped in his tracks, great load. also, I found about a 10 fps difference between standard and magnum primers. Thanks to all of you that helped, I am hooked on hand loadinggun), and have a great shooting rifle now.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.