7mm08 Vs 7saum

So revisiting this as both of the barrels I received had issues....The company made things right but it's back to the drawing board.

At this point I've decided I'll turn my own. I have access to a 300WSM reamer but I can't find brass to save my life!

I did find a 7-08ai reamer and .308 brass is plentiful to form from. Should I just go that route? Playing in quickload it seems like the 168 berger or 175 elite hunter would perform quite well.

I have access to 6 and 6.5 creedmoor reamers also.

7 SAUM brass is equally as hard to find so kinda ruling that one out as well
Blue Collar Reloading has plenty 7SAUM ADG brass.

So revisiting this as both of the barrels I received had issues....The company made things right but it's back to the drawing board.

At this point I've decided I'll turn my own. I have access to a 300WSM reamer but I can't find brass to save my life!

I did find a 7-08ai reamer and .308 brass is plentiful to form from. Should I just go that route? Playing in quickload it seems like the 168 berger or 175 elite hunter would perform quite well.

Remind me again of what you're wanting to accomplish with this build?

7 SAUM brass is practically everywhere lately. Do yourself a favor…build a 7 SAUM, 168 Berger and go hunting and enjoy it.

Remind me again of what you're wanting to accomplish with this build?
Goal is a 14-16" SP that is capable of taking up to elk sized game inside of 400yds

Thanks for letting me know about the 7saum brass. I might have to jump on that!

But before I do I'm playing with quickload and it looks like a 7mm08 ai throated to 2.950" (my mags will allow up to 3") is only 100 ft/sec behind the 7 saum in the 14-16" barrels outlined.

Any reason I shouldn't go this route? It would be the cheapest route by a long shot as all I'd need is some bushings for my .308 die, a 7mm seater, and hell I have some SRP brass I could neck down and get it up an running quite easily. It also uses quite a bit less powder! Not to mention the reamer is on sale for the 7-08ai

Goal is a 14-16" SP that is capable of taking up to elk sized game inside of 400yds

Thanks for letting me know about the 7saum brass. I might have to jump on that!

But before I do I'm playing with quickload and it looks like a 7mm08 ai throated to 2.950" (my mags will allow up to 3") is only 100 ft/sec behind the 7 saum in the 14-16" barrels outlined.

Any reason I shouldn't go this route? It would be the cheapest route by a long shot as all I'd need is some bushings for my .308 die, a 7mm seater, and hell I have some SRP brass I could neck down and get it up an running quite easily. It also uses quite a bit less powder! Not to mention the reamer is on sale for the 7-08ai
Do you have a 308AI FL bushing die?
Shoulder and body taper is different on the AI whether it is 308 0r 7mm-08.
7-08AI will be running close to the 284 Win, and the 284 Win can handle elk up to 400 yards. I would choose a 15-16 inch barrel myself

Good points, no standard 308 FL bushing die.

I might still be on for the 300 WSM. A buddy of mine is offering me 50 pieces of ADG brass and brought up a valid point I had forgotten about lol. That I already bought dies and have a blank sitting over there.

There may be hope for me yet!

I have a 15" 7mm-08. 150's @ 2650 using StaBall 6.5 powder.

Not in the same league as my 7mm RSAUM, even though it's got a 17.5" bbl. Berger 168's @ 2850 fps using H1000.

The 7mm RSAUM is one of my favorite XP-100 cartridges. Really hard to beat for all around performance. I'm amazed it's not more popular today (seems there was a time when it was more highly sought after).

Last edited:
The first piece of the puzzle has arrived! (only took 6mo. Ignore the stock as this will be a multipurpose rig/SBR) I also have a longer traditional style rail for longer barrels.

1696552639992.png

For those who may also need some 300 wsm brass I just found this, this morning! Now I can move forward with confidence!