Glock vs Springfield

Coues Sniper

This really isn't a "specialty handgun" question, but it's the best place I could think of to ask it so here goes. I'm looking to get a pistol - nothing fancy; just a home protection, shoot on weekends, handgun. I was looking at getting a Glock 23, but have a chance to get a great deal on a Springfield Armory of my choosing. I was looking at the XD(m), but i admittedly know very little about handguns... What is your opinion of the Springfield's??? I have done research on the Glock and they have an outstanding reputation... What would you do? Thanks,

Kevin

Go to a store that has both, close your eyes and aim the pistol. Most will find that they are looking down the barrel of the XD, while the glock will be pointing up at about 10 degrees. Both have a great rep, buy the one that has the best feel to you and feel good about it.

I found the Springfield XD45 compact fit me almost as well as my 1911. Point shooting at those distances the people who acquire and disseminate date say would be the most common gunfight range, it's dead on. Literally. Never chokes, and is affordable. Happy with purchase, glad for the extra rounds in case the adrenaline dump makes me shoddy in the accuracy department, can't replicate that in training very well it seems, I can't fantasize about fight or flight. I must have too tight a grip on reality.

Of the two i would say Glock. I've had a Glock 22 for about 12 years and no problems and still shoots as good today after almost 4000 rounds. I got an S&W M&P .40 recently and like it as much as my Glock. The M&P seems to fit my hand better than the Glock.

XD all the way..........I have 4 and have never had an issue. They point and shoot as reported above. Honestly, I can't feel much recoil difference between the 9mm and .45. Buy an XD and you won't be sorry!

Last edited:
I am a die hard Glock fan , I have a 21 that has over 25,000 rounds and its only ever choked twice and that was aluminum cased blazer crap. My wife carries a G-23 that has been converted to 357 Sig , it functions fine and has never had any trouble.

BUT , the XD is basicaly what the Glock is when you improve it , better grip angle , machined slide contacts in the lower , cocking indicator , grip safety and so on. I have shot the XD's and realy like them but I'm happy with my Glock ,if i replace it I'll likely get the XD.

You are comparing apples and oranges. That dont work.

Both have high reliability and are good dollar values.

You either favor the 1911 grip angle which will draw you towards the XD or the Luger grip angle which will take you to the Glock. One or the other will compliment you.

You have to go to the store and put them in YOUR hand. The best bet is to find a place that rents both of them. Most indoor ranges that have rentals normally have both of these in all calibers. Even if there is some distance involved it is worth it.

Member of a shooting club? Ask the guy shooting one if you can try it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.