7mm08 ackly imp

marlow 243

i have been shooting a sporter 788 rem. with a 24 inch ss barrel i was thinking about swithing my 700 varmit243 to 7mm08 i have the barrel i was justwondering if going to ackly is worth the time ive read on the forum that the 308 isnt worth the time thanks for any help

Marlow243,

The 308 family of rounds produce some of the smallest performance gains when improved simply becasue they are relatively fat as is.

You just do not gain alot of case capacity over the parent case.

Still there are other benefits to the Improved case design other then velocity so look at everything.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

i get a about 150fps gain in my 7-08ai over the standard.is it worth the trouble over the standard 7-08---probably not,but i just like the ackleys,so far my 7-08 has accounted for 11 elk,3 deer,and countless varmints,IMHO the 7-08 and the 308 are the most inherently accurate of all the chamberings in that family-my-2-dave

i have a rem 788in 708 i had a 24 inch ss barrel put on it at R.W.HART its a shooterim going to have them put a 708 barrel on my 700vss its a 243 now i think it will give me a little more range for varmits and a little more wind bucking i love the bullet selctionin 7mm and for the light recoil it packs a pretty good punch thanks for the input marty

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.