7mm wsm Best powder?

I think the powder you use should be chosen based on the bullet weight and the length of the barrel you have.

What bullet and barrel length are you planning on using?

24" inch barrel. Im not sure which bullet weight to go with, what would be good for long range (600 yards or so)?

Thanks. Thats some shooting man! 6 bull elk? Anyway ill try that. Ill most use it for whitetails here in Pa, and wont be shooting more than 600 yards or so, so that will be plenty for deer
smile.gif

Hope no one thinks I shot 6 bulls. I set the rifle up for Ray and he let other hunters use it. His clients take about 150 bulls a year so there is plenty of oppourtunity.

I did shoot 2 bulls this year, one at Ray's( #900 for him in the past 6 years)one here in Wyoming and was in on 9 others.

Where in the heck is a town with the name of Meeteetse, Wyoming? That's almost as bad as Oshkosh!

I have had excellent results with Retumbo and the 150 gr Swift Scirroco in the 7mm RSAUM.

69.0 gr of Retumbo gave 2975 fps @80 deg temp in a 24" barrel. SHould be an OK place to start since you have a little more case with the Winchester version.

Gave great terminal results on 6 bull elk out to 750 yds this year at Ray Milligan's outfit in New Mexico.

He used it on a bull at 1064 yds and the bullet performance was not great. He got the bull but said he would not try it at that range again.

haha 2 bulls is good anyway. I got my first bull last year, on my first elk hunt in idaho. My dad used to be a guide out there so we were huntin by ourselves in the panhandle. The first day my dad was sick and he couldnt hunt, and i didnt no the first thing about elk hunting. I went to take a leak and I saw a bull about 20 yards from me and the tent!!! Grabbed the nearest gun to me, a single shot .243 and shot him. HAHA it scared the **** out of my dad, who was sleeping 10 feet away. the bull ran about 50 yards, he was a 4x5
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.