best powder for 150&160 7MM STW

genecole

I am loading some 150 Scirroccos and 160 TSX's for my 7MM STW. I have Accurate 3100 and R-22. which powder will give me the best results in this situation, mainly velocity while still with safe pressures.
Thanks
Gene Cole III

I would say R-22 is pretty tuff to beat in the 7MM STW another good powder is H-1000 I have tried alot of powders and like these two the best. Another good one to try is H-4831 very accurate it doesnt give you the top speeds but that is in the rifles I have tried it in yours might be different.

After researching load data, it looks like the RL-22 will give me the best speed out of the two that i have. I will give it a try and see how it works. Thanks for the help
Gene Cole III

I have had the best luck with H-1000. IMR-7828 works best with the lighter bullets. I have a Win 70 Sporter with a 26" barrel. Try 154 Interbonds with all the H-1000 your gun will handle safely.

I've had my best results for accuracy and velocity with RE25 and H1000. However, RE22 should work fine.

Never had much luck with any Barnes bullets but they do seem to shoot better when NOT using the slowest powders listed in the manuals.

VH

I shot a Sendero SF in 7mm STW for a while. I never was able to get good accuracy with 150s. I don't think I could find a powder that was really right for them. H1000 looked good on paper but never proved up. At the time RL22 was hard to get here, 25 and Retumbo weren't on the market yet.

I had really really excellent luck with IMR 7828 with mollied 120 grain Noslers, I want to say 83 grains but that's from memory, and it did pretty fair with 140 partitions. For 160s, I shot mollied partitions over 87 grains of H5010. Either the 120 or the 160 would shoot .75" at 200 yards and have the same POI at that range. Handy. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.