7mm RUM build

demonjigger

I am looking for advice on building a 7mm RUM. I would like to shoot the 195/197's and use a detachable box magazine. Building on a new factory Remington 700 ultra receiver...

Which barrel would you suggest? I am thinking a heavy contour Bartlein 5R 8 twist in the 26"+ range.

Anyone have experience with the bottom metal?

Also any suggestions on a gunsmith?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I am looking for advice on building a 7mm RUM. I would like to shoot the 195/197's and use a detachable box magazine. Building on a new factory Remington 700 ultra receiver...

Which barrel would you suggest? I am thinking a heavy contour Bartlein 5R 8 twist in the 26"+ range.

Anyone have experience with the bottom metal?

Also any suggestions on a gunsmith?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I would suggest looking to the .28 Nosler. It will give you the same performance as the 7RUM, but in a shorter package. The 7mm STW is also a great option that will give you near RUM performance but with much better barrel life, and easier to find brass. The 7RUM will be entirely too long of a cartridge with the 195's to fit in the mag box, which will result in you either shooting it at a single-shot, or having to purchase a Wyatt's Extended 4.000" mag box and follower.

The .28 Nosler will keep you from having to buy the extended mag box, which means you save money not having to have the stock inletted, etc...

As for which receiver, if you want to go for the .28 Nosler, look for a used 700 7mm RUM or .300 RUM rifle or action as a donor. If you go for the 7mm STW, look for any regular magnum 700 long action. If you buy a BDL or CDL rifle, use the factory bottom metal and mag assembly.

Bartlein 26"-28" 1:8 twist Sendero contour is what I recommend.

As for gunsmith, there's lots of awesome gunsmiths on this site. JE Custom, Kirby Allen, Chase Curtis, Kevin Cram, the list goes on and on.

If I were you, I would look at the rifles Ryan Pierce is building and give him a call. His are throated for the 195s. He has done a lot of work with 28 nosler

Thank you MudRunner for the quick response and detailed reply. I have read a lot of posts on the two calibers, and I will take your advice and go with the 28 Nosler. Any advice on a brand of bottom metal?

Thank you MudRunner for the quick response and detailed reply. I have read a lot of posts on the two calibers, and I will take your advice and go with the 28 Nosler. Any advice on a brand of bottom metal?

If you use a factory Rem 700 RUM rifle as a donor, just use the factory BDL bottom metal.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I would like to use a detachable magazine/bottom metal. I already have the receiver purchased new

That, I cannot help you with... I don't use DBM setups on my bolt-action centerfire rifles. Sorry. I'm sure others will be along shortly that can assist you.

As others have already said, the .28 Nosler is the better option. The only 7mm RUM brass that you can get is from shooting or pulling down factory loads (if you can even find those), paying a fortune for Remington brass online, or buying Bertram, which is good stuff but only available through a few sources. From what I have seen with Ryan Pierce's builds, the 28 is a very, very accurate cartridge with Berger 195s and RL33. I think the brass is a little overpriced for what it is, I understand it's proprietary and new, but $2+ a piece is a little much I think.

As for a barrel, honestly whatever you can find in stock from a premium manufacture (Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, Hart, etc.) will shoot great and be an awesome barrel. I would opt for a 26-28" barrel to take advantage of all that powder and really get the heavy bullets moving. For the contour, don't go too heavy because I have carried around and handled rifles with 28" M24 and Medium Palma contours and they are too much in my opinion. For a 7mm/30cal I think a Sendero/Rem Varmint is the heaviest really needed. The Light Palma, Bartlein 3B, and standard #5 contours are pretty nice and don't weigh a ton but handle well. Those 3 all weigh around 4.5lbs finished and have a muzzle diameter of .700-.750, the Sendero is .830 at the muzzle when cut to 26", and weighs 4oz or so more than the others. Any of those would be a great choice.

As other's suggest, go 28 Nosler or 7STW, but it's your build. As for 7RUM brass, I used the 300RUM brass run through the 7RUM FL sizer, when the RUM's first came out and 7 brass wasn't available, but 300 was when I had both. You can get 300RUM Norma brass, what I currently use and it's pretty good stuff.

I would suggest looking to the .28 Nosler. It will give you the same performance as the 7RUM, but in a shorter package. The 7mm STW is also a great option that will give you near RUM performance but with much better barrel life, and easier to find brass. The 7RUM will be entirely too long of a cartridge with the 195's to fit in the mag box, which will result in you either shooting it at a single-shot, or having to purchase a Wyatt's Extended 4.000" mag box and follower.

The .28 Nosler will keep you from having to buy the extended mag box, which means you save money not having to have the stock inletted, etc...

As for which receiver, if you want to go for the .28 Nosler, look for a used 700 7mm RUM or .300 RUM rifle or action as a donor. If you go for the 7mm STW, look for any regular magnum 700 long action. If you buy a BDL or CDL rifle, use the factory bottom metal and mag assembly.

Bartlein 26"-28" 1:8 twist Sendero contour is what I recommend.

As for gunsmith, there's lots of awesome gunsmiths on this site. JE Custom, Kirby Allen, Chase Curtis, Kevin Cram, the list goes on and on.

Exactly!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.