7mm Rem. Mag. load help

I would look at the 150gr Nosler E-Tip or the Hornady 139gr GMX. I would stay away from the barnes the bc's on them are not very good. IMHO

I would look at the 150gr Nosler E-Tip or the Hornady 139gr GMX. I would stay away from the barnes the bc's on them are not very good. IMHO
I have had realy good luck with barnes so far . all but one gun shoots them better than nosler or hornday but thats only out to about 400 yards have not tryed to go farther yet thats what this 7 is for . but I will try the noslers also . see what holds the best group at 700 and 800

One of the biggest mistakes I think you can make is starting out with too many components and changing too many variables.

I would pick a quality set of components having reasonable potential accomplish the desired result and work up a load from scratch by changing only one thing at a time.

If you don't see anything promising after 20 rounds or so, try a different bullet or powder and start again. Seating depth and primers are more for fine tuning once you're in the ballpark.

I've had success with 168gr Bergers, H4831sc, Norma brass, Fed GM215M primers. But, you've already got many good suggestions.

-- richard

One of the biggest mistakes I think you can make is starting out with too many components and changing too many variables.

I would pick a quality set of components having reasonable potential accomplish the desired result and work up a load from scratch by changing only one thing at a time.

If you don't see anything promising after 20 rounds or so, try a different bullet or powder and start again. Seating depth and primers are more for fine tuning once you're in the ballpark.

I've had success with 168gr Bergers, H4831sc, Norma brass, Fed GM215M primers. But, you've already got many good suggestions.

-- richard
Richard I do under stand what you are saying about too many components . I'm only going to use at first retumbo powder . for both rifles one will start off with 160 accubonds with about 5 different charge loads then do the same with Hornady amax and might try some of the barnes in this one too . The other rifle will only be testing lead free with the same retumbo powder so about 4 different bullets then I pick the best one and then start on Seating depth and primers . this is the costly way but I have had some good luck with it and came out with a rifle that can group real nice ( for a factory rifle ) and where we go shoot and do all this is 2 hr away so its not easy to leave load another set and go back out .

I'm thinking of getting an arbor press to seat bullets when I'm 2hrs from home doing load development. Even when I shoot nearby, 30 minutes over and 30 minutes back is not productive.

It was nice when I lived on the ranch and the range was right out the back door.

-- richard

I'm thinking of getting an arbor press to seat bullets when I'm 2hrs from home doing load development. Even when I shoot nearby, 30 minutes over and 30 minutes back is not productive.

It was nice when I lived on the ranch and the range was right out the back door.

-- richard
yes have put some real thought into getting another press to mount at the ranch but . this gives me something to do ..LOL

GOOD ?? I hope I do them all good . after the .243 and a major tune up on the .270 I think I can do it and come up with the best load and best bullet for both 7,s and possibly they will be the same load . :D

My thought is to pick two bullets that are known to be good bullets for the game you want to hunt with your 7 RM. Pick two of the powders that are known to work with those bullets. The probability is probably 98% that you can get a good load with one of those poweders and bullets within 150 to 200 rounds down range.

First bullet you get a good accuracy load with good MV for the desired range, stop - you are done. There are so many good bullets and powders for 7mm you can shoot out three barrels testing loads and just be getting started. You don't need the best load ever developed, assuming it would even be recognizable.

What you need is one load that's good enough, and some barrel life left over to make use of it.

Fitch

Well one down 70g of Retumbo pushing a 140g Barnes TTSX . The other one shot them great also just ordered a RCBS comp. die set to start gettig a good c.o.a.l. The Retumbo shot much better than the IMR 4831 and the RL-19 BUY FAR .. Might try it out with some of my others see how it dose .

When trying to get the right seating depth. do i need to still mess with powder or stay with the powder load that worked the best ? from what I see I need to bring the bullet out and closer to the lands . next question is how good of a group is a grate group . 100y in a dime is what I have achieved so far almost all 3 touching I would like to see all 3 touching . is that to much too ask of a 7rm ?

If you have a good load worked up I would not mess with the powder charge if you are just playing with seating depth, unless the bullet ends up really compressing the powder. Then I would worry about changing the powder. Dimes size groups are prettyu good in my book, but you never know you could get them to all be touching, I don't think it is too much to ask. I have done it a couple of times.

Corey

Thanks Corey. that is what I was thinking but wanted to cheek . I will not be compressing the powder I will be bringing the bullet out more

Terry this is my last 4 shots out of my Savage 7 mag at 100 yards:

IMG_0342.jpg

Corey

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.