7mm rem and 150 accubond LR

Hey Threejs, I purchased a box of the ablr 150's 100ct, I developed a load with them and rl 25 , I have a 30 in shilen barrel that is actully 27.5 in usable tube with 66grns I was getting great accuracy and velocity of 3170 average, but all the reports I read on here about bullet lot#'s changing shapes and weights put me on the 168 berger and still have around 70 of the noslers, and several loaded up I never shot anything but paper with them, but they were easy to work with and I love the look of them

Threejs

After looking over the terminal performance of ABLR bullets I concluded that Nosler had done exactly what they said - made a really good long range bullet. It is my opinion that they are too soft for general purpose hunting as they really do expand down at 1,300 fps. So... I loaded up some 7mm 150 ABLRs for a friends 13 year old daughter in a low recoil 7mm-08 load running 2,000 fps at the muzzle. She knocked over a nice whitetail doe with that load this past fall. If I recall, the doe went about 20 yards and fell over dead so the bullet did what it was supposed to do - expand and relatively low velocity. I would hesitate to use them unless you really mean it when you say "long range". I'd much rather use the new 175 gr Hornady ELD-X in a 7mm RM.

My "long range" is really only 4-500 yds. I don't mind a bullet that blows up in impact. I'm trying to put together a 7rem mag or 280 AI for mt goat. I will adjust my shot placement of the bullet has rapid expansion

My older savage 116 that my daughter has taken over with muzzle break, I shoot berger 140 vld hunting, she kills white tails I use it for yotes and it does a great job on both, no tracking and good terminal expansion. A little rough on yote hides but they don't seem to care

If you are most likely shooting 500 yards max, then the 160 grain Accubond is the better choice, at least in my opinion.
1) For me, the 160AB is MUCH easier to develop an accurate load for. I tried the 150 and 168 ABLR and never got close to the accuracy that I have with the AB 160s . The ABLR bullets seem to be very sensitive to seating depth.
2) The AB160s perform extremely well on game close and far
3) The ABLR / VLD type bullets ballistic advantages really don't start showing up until you get in the 500ish yard range.

good luck

Thanks for the input guys!! I have done a lot of research on ballistics in the last couple weeks. I have noticed the long range bullets with hi BC don't catch up until beyond 6-700 yards. Which to me is unethical to shoot for a person of my ability. I am thinking I will probably stick to the old accubonds or BTs

I shot a small 102 lb buck using my XP-100. 7mm SAUM. I used the Nosler 150 ABLR. MV was 2825 FPS.

Deer was at 10 yds.

Bullet impacted the near side shoulder, breaking the shoulder/leg. The buck ran 60-70 yards, then fell just as it went out of sight.

There was no blood trail. The deer left absolutely no blood on the ground. Upon finding the deer, initial inspection revealed no visible signs of the entrance and exit of the bullet.

Later, after arriving home,ma closer inspection revealed a small bullet diameter entrance hole and a very slightly larger exit hole. Both of these holes had to be searched for by pulling the hair back slowly.

Based on previous experience with 30 cal ABLR bullets on deer, I was expecting rather large holes in the deer. However, this 7mm bullet didn't act the same.

The chest cavity of the deer was just full of blood, so some internal damage was inflicted.

Due to time constraints and a long, nearly 2 hour drag back to the truck, I did not inspect the internal organs for specific damage. I wish now that I had taken time to do so.

The 7mm Nosler 150 gr ABLR bullet killed my deer, but the performance of the bullet was not as I expected.

Entrance:

Exit (didn't see shadow in pic till too late - exit hole is to the right in the shadow):

Last edited:
That is a little strange. I would expect a 7mm bullet going 2800 fps +/- to blow a hole no less than .75". I'm starting to get a bad feeling about the ABLR

My experience with the 30 cal Nosler 190 ABLR was quite different. Large holes and lots of blood.

I'm planning on shooting more deer with the 7mm N150ABLR just to see if performance differs.

One thing for sure, my accuracy with the Nosler ABLR has not been consistent.

Looks like it worked pretty well. 50 to 100 yard run after shot is pretty typical of an animal hit in the lungs with no central nervous system impact.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.