7mm,6.5 creeds, PRC's and Happy St. Patrick's day!

rotorhead

Oh boy, forgive me folks as I have been out of the game a while until recently. The plethora of new cartridges is truly mind boggling. Recently I got started on a re-barrel project and I selected the 280AI. Goal: to get it to shoot with the factory 7mm rem mag numbers. I believe I will be able to. While I was waiting on a barrel I was looking around and reading posts, ya know trying to catch up! During all this I read about the 6.5 creedmore, I thought to myself, thats just a 260AI. So off I went to look into this critter then the 6 creed then the PRC stuff. I really could not figure out what the fuss was all about but after going through the SAMMI drawing and such I realized that these new ones are refined tolerances for chambers and throats. The 7mm mag has been at the top for years but if you follow the twist and sammi for this cartridge and shoot factory loading's it does what it does pretty darn good. But, if you build the gun to tight tolerances adjusted freebore diameters, adjust the magwell screw on a preferred twist barrel then load your ammunition to fit the rifle. The results are absolutely different. This critter becomes a tack driving long distance machine. So to me this PRC/creed phenom is; the factory is attempting to build or should I say design a better cartridge/chamber marriage so that the specs remain tighter so that Tom, dick and Harry can buy a gun and buy ammo and go shoot a 100 miles.....and thats ok! In reality we custom/semi-custom/ reloaders/gunsmith abiet tinkerers have been doing this for years. I suspect that hand loading for this will not increase by the same margins as we have been able to do with past cartridge selections. All in all I'm not offended by these and I'm sure these will fit for folks that don't reload the most. For the rest of us who like to tinker with this stuff and conduct our science experiments the older stuff will keep us occupied. Really, I feel really old these days because I think my 6.5-06 is a peach and I have no intentions to chage to a different 26. Different stokes for different folks. I guess thats what keeps this all fun. No real question here just an observation.
Boy, I thought the 375 and 416 rugers were and great upgrade from the H&H and rigbys, they came along when I needed a 375 so I was impressed and bought a rugerM77. Unfortunatly, it appears the rest of the world is slow to adopt them. I'm guessing the same kind of thing is going on. Craig boddington liked the 375 ruger but already owns 375 H&H's that have worked for years! Why change! I guess thats kind of where us older folk are with these PRC's and creeds. I suppose hornady/Ruger needed to find other uses for those cases. I still like my 375ruger. A little rough on the shoulder but I can suck it up for africa. A place I wish I could afford to go more often, well maybe some day! Happy St Patricks day to all the irish out there! Have a Great Day

.280AI great selection! More than a few .280AI hunters/shooters/loaders on this forum will help you navigate thru load development. Not that you need to, but it's great to get feedback from those on this forum who shoot this particular cartridge or any others. Keep us posted.

Holy rant.

I'll never understand ownership bias. There are advantages to the PRC's and Creed's as a reloader too. Do you think most of the people shooting them in PRS and doing well are shooting factory ammo? No. If 243's and 260's worked as well people would still be running them and wouldn't be converting. The modern cartridges are just easier to load for and more consistent.

The 375 Ruger comments are an interesting note. So some modern cartridges are ok if you chose to adopt those I guess. You realize that the PRC's parent cartridge is the 375 Ruger, right?

Oh boy, forgive me folks as I have been out of the game a while until recently. The plethora of new cartridges is truly mind boggling. Recently I got started on a re-barrel project and I selected the 280AI. Goal: to get it to shoot with the factory 7mm rem mag numbers. I believe I will be able to. While I was waiting on a barrel I was looking around and reading posts, ya know trying to catch up! During all this I read about the 6.5 creedmore, I thought to myself, thats just a 260AI. So off I went to look into this critter then the 6 creed then the PRC stuff. I really could not figure out what the fuss was all about but after going through the SAMMI drawing and such I realized that these new ones are refined tolerances for chambers and throats. The 7mm mag has been at the top for years but if you follow the twist and sammi for this cartridge and shoot factory loading's it does what it does pretty darn good. But, if you build the gun to tight tolerances adjusted freebore diameters, adjust the magwell screw on a preferred twist barrel then load your ammunition to fit the rifle. The results are absolutely different. This critter becomes a tack driving long distance machine. So to me this PRC/creed phenom is; the factory is attempting to build or should I say design a better cartridge/chamber marriage so that the specs remain tighter so that Tom, dick and Harry can buy a gun and buy ammo and go shoot a 100 miles.....and thats ok! In reality we custom/semi-custom/ reloaders/gunsmith abiet tinkerers have been doing this for years. I suspect that hand loading for this will not increase by the same margins as we have been able to do with past cartridge selections. All in all I'm not offended by these and I'm sure these will fit for folks that don't reload the most. For the rest of us who like to tinker with this stuff and conduct our science experiments the older stuff will keep us occupied. Really, I feel really old these days because I think my 6.5-06 is a peach and I have no intentions to chage to a different 26. Different stokes for different folks. I guess thats what keeps this all fun. No real question here just an observation.
Boy, I thought the 375 and 416 rugers were and great upgrade from the H&H and rigbys, they came along when I needed a 375 so I was impressed and bought a rugerM77. Unfortunatly, it appears the rest of the world is slow to adopt them. I'm guessing the same kind of thing is going on. Craig boddington liked the 375 ruger but already owns 375 H&H's that have worked for years! Why change! I guess thats kind of where us older folk are with these PRC's and creeds. I suppose hornady/Ruger needed to find other uses for those cases. I still like my 375ruger. A little rough on the shoulder but I can suck it up for africa. A place I wish I could afford to go more often, well maybe some day! Happy St Patricks day to all the irish out there! Have a Great Day
Nailed it. As someone who relies on factory ammo, I appreciate these 'new cartridges' that offer performance closer to handloads in factory rifles.
I do believe there is advantages for the reloader as well with the tighter freebore tolerances etc, but your comment that there is less of an advantage to reloading than with traditional cartridges seems apt. Like you, I don't understand the angst towards these cartridges that 'don't do anything my blank has been doing since 1960'. These cartridges do offer out of the box accuracy at distance previously unseen.

As far as 375, I preferred the theoretical advantages of the Ruger cartridges, but decided to go with the 375 H&H instead. The storied history, ammo availability, ease of feeding of the H&H swayed me for use in a DG rifle in Africa. At traditional hunting ranges, the advantages of the Ruger cartridges in a shorter barreled rifle weren't enough to make a difference to me. Different strokes!

Happy St. Patricks day!

Holy rant.

I'll never understand ownership bias. There are advantages to the PRC's and Creed's as a reloader too. Do you think most of the people shooting them in PRS and doing well are shooting factory ammo? No. If 243's and 260's worked as well people would still be running them and wouldn't be converting. The modern cartridges are just easier to load for and more consistent.

The 375 Ruger comments are an interesting note. So some modern cartridges are ok if you chose to adopt those I guess. You realize that the PRC's parent cartridge is the 375 Ruger, right?
Redneck, yes I'm aware that the parent is the 375. My point was that I guess its about timing. When I chose the 375 ruger was when I needed to make a choice it was in improvement but only slightly. I'm not knocking these cases, I was just wondering what the hub bub was all about. Case capacities are similar to other less popular cases. but these mostly needed work. The brilliants of these "new cartridge" is less prep. It appears that less handloading and tinkering required for good results. I was simply making an observation. I chose what I chose based on many things and knocking your favorite did not come to mind. Ownership bias, I'm not sure why you made that statement but I'm sure you have your reasons. I also know you can always make improvements with reloading, my remark was about these cartridges don't appear to need as much work to get there as the older ones do so they are great for the guy who doesn't reload. Sorry if I offended you!