7mm-300wm

BigSwede

Been a long time comin but am soon embarking on load development for my new gun 7mm-300wm. Any advice regarding same is appreciated. its a stout benchmark 8.5 twist screwed onto a trued 700 in an HS stock. It's purpose is to ding a 3' steel circle I have put ..way.........out there.
-Swede

This should help from site called 7 Practical

Tested load data for 26" barrel. Be aware; short throated rifles may produce dangerous pressures with maximum loads. Approach maximum loads with extreme caution.

Bullet weight Powder Start load Maximum Velocity
160-168 H1000 76 79.5 3275
180 73 76 3150
190 71 74 3000

link 7mm Practical

I was comparing the 7-300WM to the 28 nosler and it looks like the 7-300wm has a edge of about 10 up to 25fps over the 28 nosler. With the higher velocities being with heavier bullet weights. I would think the 300wm brass is much easier to get as well. It will be on one for my 2 do list some day to own one as well.

Are you guys using an appropriate 7mm bushing in a 300wm bushing die and 300wm fl die for sizing or ordering custom dies?

This is on my 'to do' list also

28 nosler is a bigger case. Everything else being equal it'll out perform the 7-300.

What bullets are you planning on shooting?

Aaron

I built a 7-300wm for a buddy of mine. His has a 9t 27" brux barrel. He's shooting retumbo and 180 hybrids. It hammers. You'll get more speed out of a 28 nosler, but you'll burn more powder, more expensive brass, and shorter barrel life. I see advantages in both. Build the one YOU want, you'll be happier that way.

Aaron

I built a 7-300wm for a buddy of mine. His has a 9t 27" brux barrel. He's shooting retumbo and 180 hybrids. It hammers. You'll get more speed out of a 28 nosler, but you'll burn more powder, more expensive brass, and shorter barrel life. I see advantages in both. Build the one YOU want, you'll be happier that way.

Aaron
Everything Aaron said.

Made a 28 Nosler. Like it.

6.5-300Wby and 7mm-300 Wby are as close as you can get to the Nosler. Oops, throw the STW in there.

IMO 7RUM is too much of a good thing. 7mm-300Wby, 7STW and 28Nosler is about as far as you can go IMO with out going too far.

7mmRM is good stuff but (ha ha, just kidding) slow.

Yeah, the 28 nosler is looking more the caliber to build for my needs. Nosler components are available, but pricey. However, so many options in 7mm wildcats to choose from. I'm leaning towards building a 28 Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.