7mm-300 wby brass question

Diggo

I am thinking about putting a new barrel on my savage 300 wby. I was thinking about a 7mm-300 wby? How hard would it be to neck down 300 brass to 7mm-300 wby? Or would I be better off with just 28 nosler or 7rum? Thx

I think you could get it done in one neck sizing or if you had bushing dies you might use 2 different size bushing. I just necked up a lot of 7mmRUM brass to 30 cal in one resizing. no issues with it. I also have a 7mmRUM die that I could neck it back down with. Honestly the weatherby brass is cheaper than the 28 Nosler or trying to find the 7mm RUM and a lot easier to find. So I would really look at what is available out there in terms of brass and what my local stores have on hand. Also the 7mm RUM has seen accuracy decrease in as little as 600 rounds from some of the post that I have read.

I am thinking about putting a new barrel on my savage 300 wby. I was thinking about a 7mm-300 wby? How hard would it be to neck down 300 brass to 7mm-300 wby? Or would I be better off with just 28 nosler or 7rum? Thx

That cartridge already has a name. it is called a 7mm STW!:Dgun)

I shoot the 7-300 weatherby and make all my brass in one pass through a full length sizer with once fired weatherby brass. I used 7mm stw data to work up loads. Switched over several years ago when stw brass started drying up.

IIWY, I'd stay with .300 WBTY (or with it's improved variants: extra co$t a$$ociated with it) and re-barrel it with 1:9" or faster and launch those heavy high BC bullets like the 230 Bergers, etc ...

I have a .30 Lara (.300 Jarret improved) with 27" SS Lilja 3-groove 1:9" Sendero contour. Below is a factory .300 WBTY factory ammo fire-formed to my chamber.

6%20of%206_zps0l2ub83q.jpg

Good luck!

My choice of those options would be a 28 Nosler.

I think you could get it done in one neck sizing or if you had bushing dies you might use 2 different size bushing. I just necked up a lot of 7mmRUM brass to 30 cal in one resizing. no issues with it. I also have a 7mmRUM die that I could neck it back down with. Honestly the weatherby brass is cheaper than the 28 Nosler or trying to find the 7mm RUM and a lot easier to find. So I would really look at what is available out there in terms of brass and what my local stores have on hand. Also the 7mm RUM has seen accuracy decrease in as little as 600 rounds from some of the post that I have read.

I necked now .300H&H brass in one pass and fire formed them. The neck of the 7-.300 Wea is longer than any of the others mentions so the barrel will last longer. Accuracy shouldn't be any different in any of them.

I have lots of 300 wby brass and I'm really leaning towards 7mm-300wby just for simplicity of sizing the brass and it seemed to be a little easier on the throat?? I'm thinking 27" 1-8 barrel as well to shoot the long high BC 195's!!

I've put 2 or them together with 271/2 inch hart barrels with 1:9 twist. They shoot 180 berger hybrids about 3100 with fairly mild loads. Have been thinking about getting a little faster twist to try the heavier bullets.. I would imagine the 28 nosler is just as good, but I know I will never have a problem getting weatherby brass and it's easy to form. Also has less recoil than the big 30's

I have a 7/300wby and I just resize the 300wby brass. I'm using nosler brass over the factory brass. You can dies from RCBS and Redding or you can have LEE custom make you dies as well.

How long is the COL for a 7-300WBY? Does it need a wyatt box mag. I would think with the 195 it getting up close to 3.8 inches for good feeding.

I have lots of 300 wby brass and I'm really leaning towards 7mm-300wby just for simplicity of sizing the brass and it seemed to be a little easier on the throat?? I'm thinking 27" 1-8 barrel as well to shoot the long high BC 195's!!

As stated you can run the 300 wby brass through a 7/300 wby die and fire form. If you have lots of 300 wby brass that's the way to go, I shot one for 20 years and it is a good cartridge, I shot a deer at 850 yards with it.
Drags

I don't have a 7/300Wby.

I have lots of other Weatherby chambered Weatherbys. LOL.

I made a 28-Nosler and sold it after achieving my goals in load testing many different bullets.

That is the extent of my background so I'm iggerent. LOL.

Seriously, it is/will be the equal of the 28-Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.