7mm 180gr Berger VLD

340Shooter

Has anyone tried this bullet in the 7mm STW? Just picked up some and hoping my rifle stabilizes them. What is a good powder to start with?

Well i'm using them with great success out to about 1200 yards with my 7 rum,I'm loading 85grns retumbo at 2850 fps, don't know if this helps but my best group is 2.75" at 600 i'm happy with this and of course want better but at the cost of powder and lack of components i'll stick with this.I think theres a thread on chambers and bullets on here somewhere try searching it may have more info.

Well i'm using them with great success out to about 1200 yards with my 7 rum,I'm loading 85grns retumbo at 2850 fps, don't know if this helps but my best group is 2.75" at 600 i'm happy with this and of course want better but at the cost of powder and lack of components i'll stick with this.I think theres a thread on chambers and bullets on here somewhere try searching it may have more info.

Sounds like some great groups but I can't believe that's all your getting for velocity out of your RUM and that much Retumbo. Berger shows that 66.4 grns of Retumbo in a 7 RM will get you 2849fps.

all i can say is trial and error led me to this load, reduced velocity for increased accuracy is fine by me plus the barrel will live longer. And I've shot over the chrono 3 different times no more than 5fps spread,numbers seamed low to me too but maybe that just the powder lot i have.

I wouldn't change it either if it shoots well. It just sounded like an awful lot of powder for that velocity. Have you tried any other powders?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.