7mm 162gn ELD-X

Mxracer532

I FINALLY found a box and picked it up, I have H-1000 and Retumbo to try out, has anyone loaded these up yet with either of these pounders? Seating depths?
Rifle is a 1st gen Sendero.

I'll be loading some of these soon. I'll be trying the same powders you have listed... I will try to remember to post back my findings.

I've tried several loads found 69.5 grain retumbo to be the best I found I'm bumping the lands shooting them out of 26 inch hawk Hill barrel speed are shade over 3000 .they seem to be land sensitive. As far as how they shoot well I don't think there any better than the berger I've been shooting but there no worse either so I will be trying them this fall

Be very interested in results and thoughts on loading the 280 Rem / 7x64.

Anyone know whether the regular ELD will perform on game in the same way as the old A-Max will?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Be very interested in results and thoughts on loading the 280 Rem / 7x64.

Anyone know whether the regular ELD will perform on game in the same way as the old A-Max will?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

All th info I've read about the ELDM's, they are AMAX's with a new tip that doesn't melt. Should perform the same.

I just put a load together for my Tikka 7mm rem mag. Using Rem brass, CCI 250 primer, 162 ELD-X, 70.5 grains of H1000, and an OAL of 3.365 I am shooting 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and getting 2930 FPS.
I'm super happy with this load especially from a 24.5" barrel.

I just put a load together for my Tikka 7mm rem mag. Using Rem brass, CCI 250 primer, 162 ELD-X, 70.5 grains of H1000, and an OAL of 3.365 I am shooting 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and getting 2930 FPS.

Awesome! How far off the lands does that put you?

Wow that 2 grains over max by hornady and they show 3000 fps at 68.5 out of 24 inch barrel. Are you showing pressure signs

Wow that 2 grains over max by hornady and they show 3000 fps at 68.5 out of 24 inch barrel. Are you showing pressure signs

Check out the online load data from Hodgdon; the max load listed is 70 grains H1000 for just over 2900 FPS.

I have no idea why the Hornady handbook is so far off, I had a 7mm rem mag about 5 years ago that I was loading to 69.5 grns H1000 with 162's and getting 2900 with a 26 inch barrel.

I have zero pressure signs with 70.5 grains and brass life is good. I'm reloading a couple cases over and over and so far I have 8 firings and they are still good to go.

I reach the lands at about 3.45 oal so I could do better on velocity but I'm sticking with 3.365 for mag length.

I understand what your saying about hodgon load data but not all. Bullets are the same i shot 72 grain of retumbo with a-max but have found that 69.5 is the max for the eld-x bullets out of my rifle so with that being said I hope it does work for you but I'd still be careful because there a reason 68.5 h1000 was listed as the maximum from hornady

I understand what your saying about hodgon load data but not all. Bullets are the same i shot 72 grain of retumbo with a-max but have found that 69.5 is the max for the eld-x bullets out of my rifle so with that being said I hope it does work for you but I'd still be careful because there a reason 68.5 h1000 was listed as the maximum from hornady[/QUOTE

You're right every bullet is different, so is every rifle. Maybe that's the reason that Hornady listed their max load 2 grains less than Hodgdon.
I seriously suspect that they were being extremely conservative though, but as always it's smart to work up to any listed max load.

I just loaded up 20 for my sako finnlight. Norma brass loaded to 3.320 with a .0.30 jump.
5 with H1000 and WLMR primers from 66 to 70 grains. 5 with same loadings using 215m primers. 5 with retumbo , WLMR 67 to 71 then 5 more with 215m. Time for some ladder testing. I'll post my results. Any quickload help would be appreciated.

I am shooting the 162eld-X in a Tikka 26" I should be .040 off the rifling. Groups are sub 1\2moa

using H1000 (you can PM me for charge weights) Chrono speed is 2930 but the calculated speed is 3050fps using the published BC from Hornady of .630 and actual flight.

I shot 3 whitetail and a big boar from 300-600yds so far this year.

I am very happy with the expansion, It seems to be well controlled but still expands nicely on thin skin game like Texas WT doe. One doe shot at 405yds was hit slighlty in front of shoulder with exit behind off shoulder. The bullet broke the spin and 4 ribs upon exit, and totally annihilated heart and lungs!

I hit the boar at 300yds on the move, in the last rib angling back(poor shot placement) but the pig dropped and I recovered the bullet. The front of bullet was expanded(just like the pictures from hornady) with some of the lead core still intact just under the skin near the hind qtr. I was surprised it didn't exit but hard to argue with results on such a bad rear facing bullet angle.

I shot a milk jug full of water at 710yds and hit it low center. The back side of the jug was spidered, not as explosive as other bullets I have tested but I think that is better for a slower expanding bullet on thicker game animals like boar and elk.

Over all I am very pleased with the ELD-x based on accuracy and my field results. I hope to stretch it out and test on a critter over 700yds soon
James

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.