700 BDL/M70 featherweight/ Ruger No. 1

Hey guys, I'm wanting to get my hands on a 25-06 in one of the rifles mentioned above but having a hard time deciding. Looking for some feedback/guidance from whoever can help. I'm a big fan of classic rifles so whichever of the one I get will be an older model (original gloss BDL, older XTR featherweight, or red pad No. 1). Feel free to share experiences with accuracy or hunts etc. Not stuck on accuracy just a general question. This will strictly be a hunting rifle. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
If you are concerned with accuracy go with a bolt gun.
And id have higher expectations from the m700, assuming it's in suitable condition.
never owned the m70 but I have owned the others in 25/06.

I have an old BDL Varmint in 25-06 and it still shoots under a 1/2" …,shot everything from groundhogs to deer

Hey guys, I'm wanting to get my hands on a 25-06 in one of the rifles mentioned above but having a hard time deciding. Looking for some feedback/guidance from whoever can help. I'm a big fan of classic rifles so whichever of the one I get will be an older model (original gloss BDL, older XTR featherweight, or red pad No. 1). Feel free to share experiences with accuracy or hunts etc. Any help is appreciated!
Don't own one. Shot a friend's Savage. It shot great. Still lusting....

Remington bdl or m70 are my two choices for accuracy in your listing. The ruger #1 is a beautiful gun and I've got one in 300 wm but due to how the scope mounts it is inherently less accurate. They can be made to shoot but take some extra work tweaking things .

Nothing is prettier than a #1 with good wood, but accuracy can be "iffy" occasionally! 🤔

The Model 70 Featherweight is second in beauty only to a #1 with nice wood, plus the thin barrel makes accurate longer shot strings quite difficult. A nice heavy, stiff barrel would remedy that…..but then it's not a Featherweight and also is "butt ugly"!😉

From a pure accuracy standpoint the Remington likely has the most potential, but it will always be a Remington…..there's no cure for that! 😁 memtb

Love the 25-06, it is perfect for our Texas deer. I mostly hunt with something else because none of my 25-06s are threaded. I've used a #1 varmint, a rem sendero, and a weatherby light weight in the caliber and consider them all functionally equivalent with about .5-.75 moa. I still have a bunch of the 117grn superformance loaded ammo that I'm shooting up, they would all shoot better with handloads.

The round punches way above its weight class, I call it Thor's hammer. I usually shoot pigs through the middle so I don't have to drag them off; with the 25-06 I often have to drag them anyway.

Go with a Remington lots of aftermarket parts easily found. You can do lots of tinkering to it on your own. But I've always been fond of model 70s I'd love to get one of the new stainless models.

I am a WinM70 CRF my self, I like the M70 Classic Stainless made in New Haven in mid 1990's. The problem with them and maybe the Rugers is the very few options for aftermarket things. I don't have any Remingtons, but they do have the most aftermarket options

I get will be an older model (original gloss BDL, older XTR featherweight, or red pad No. 1). Feel free to share experiences with accuracy or hunts etc. Not stuck on accuracy just a general question. This will strictly be a hunting rifle. Any help is appreciated!
Lemons come in all brands. I like #1's but more as an additional rifle than a primary. I do find it a bit silly that folks willing to spend a lot of money on making a bolt gun acceptable, don't want to apply that to a falling block.

I think the XTR featherweight would be my first choice. #1 second,

Granted the 700's have the aftermarket cornered, but mine have more often than not needed it.

Have all 3 of the above mentiones rifles. My Win pre 70 in 243 still shoots solid to this day. Have a few of the Ruger # 1 one in 257 and one in 06 and the Rem 700 in 223 and one in 17 Rem and one in 204 Ruger all are shooters had a smith touch them up a little. For me it would depend on what I was using it for and what game . My 25-06 have two , one is a custom 2506AI which Parker did with a mauser supreme action and both have 26 in tubes and love them both with the Nosler 115 gr silvertips-BT and the Partitions all shoot well for me. My one has a thumb hole stock which is my favorite but both shoot just a well. It's a tough choice too make so good luck.