7 RM Brass Issues

UTBMB

New guy here, hoping I can learn a bit from this group. I have a browning XBolt long range 7 rem mag and Ive run into an issue with ADG brass that I've never experienced before. After resizing once fired brass and firing it the second time each case hangs up and "sticks" a bit when extracting. I don't have heavy bolt lift or any other pressure signs, and haven't changed my load at all. Near as I can tell it looks to be hanging up on the web area directly above the belt.

I measured the case web with my calipers and once fired brass has a diameter of 0.513" and the twice fired brass is 0.514". The new brass measured 0.507". Obviously after resizing after the first firing, the die(Redding Premium series FL die) isn't resizing the web back down. Ive heard this is normal with a belted case? this is the first belted case I have loaded for, and didn't have this problem until I switched to ADG brass. I shot Hornady brass for a while until I could get my hands on ADG brass and was able to load the brass 3-4 times and never saw this issue come up. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Try and find a RCBS small base sizer. Also, Production sizing dies are often made to different dimensions, madness to say the least.

What is the dimension of New Winchester brass vs AGD brass right in front of the web.

Look up "Redding body dies" ... with belted mags they're basically a must

It-is an extra step in the loading process when re-loading fired brass, but it will cure your problem 100%

The Larry Willis collet was designed specifically to size at the belt. I've used one for years on belted stw cases. My Redding body die does not size down that far without setting the shoulder back way to much; about .010 short. Which is also the same amount my comp shell holder drops the case for proper shoulder setback in my chamber. Your chamber may be different...

Last edited:
I had a Larry Willis die for years, never used it, even on rem factory chambers. I have had custom chambers were the reamer was ground with only .002 clearance in the web, then the use of a small base die was needed.

Measure with a micrometer that measures to the 0.0001

Right in front of the belt

New brass, measure 5 pieces, NOT just one piece
Fired but does not need full length sizing
Fired but increased bolt lift/scuffing on the case head

Often, a Full length sizer will not size the brass down far enough in the web. I have a shell holder where I have used a grinder to remove .003 off the top of the shell holder. This usually does the trick with the sized case going from tight to close the bolt to an easy bolt closing.

Go to ebay and buy a Shars .0001 micrometer 0-1 inch