7 PRC

The 7PRC has a tighter chamber specs, specs in a faster twist, longer case neck, longer free bore lead for the bullet, tighter specked free bore .2846 vs .287. Most of the better design of the 7PRC is in its chamber tolerances which are tighter and in the case of the free bore lead longer. The cartridge case itself has a longer neck. All add up to near perfect alignment for the bullet to engage the rifling with minimal wobbling, also bullets are likely loaded to lengths that allow for bullet jump into rifling that enhances accuracy. In other words all the details are thought out and as close a tolerance as factory ammo and rifles will allow for the best accuracy potential.
And the tighter chamber specs is their biggest screw up also! The PRC clicker issue will continue with this case! Why the heck wouldn't they fix it with this saami spec! Other than that, it'll be a sweetheart of a round!

And the tighter chamber specs is their biggest screw up also! The PRC clicker issue will continue with this case! Why the heck wouldn't they fix it with this saami spec! Other than that, it'll be a sweetheart of a round!
What causes the clicker issue? And what exactly is it? I ask because I read about a dozen threads across 3 forums and never saw it actually explained. Only thing I got was that it's a reloading issue.

What causes the clicker issue? And what exactly is it? I ask because I read about a dozen threads across 3 forums and never saw it actually explained. Only thing I got was that it's a reloading issue.
Clearance is too tight at the 0.200" line ahead of the bolt face. On this thread it goes through it. The click is on the primary extraction as the bolt comes up/back. There used to be a video up there but looks like the youtube overlords got it. The "fix" is opening up the clearance slightly at that point in the chamber. It is all discussed in that thread. I have all three of the reamers, 6.5 & 300 on hand 7mm PRC on order due Feb. Some of the factory chambers that are on the larger side may not have the issue but if closer to minimum chamber it will be an issue. IMO easier to just run the AW designed reamer and never have the issue. There is no downside to that reamer.

In the 80's and 90's I was a 7RM to the bone. Loaded for it for years. Lot's of game and paper destroyed. Then baby 7 SAUM came out. Wow....something built so perfect yet shoots the same as a 7RM????. Heck yes, write a check. And another check and Charge the card. I totally refused to believe the hype of the 7mm WSM. But yet it was and is an awesome cartridge. Boom 28 Nosler....Write a check. I pick it up once a year and shoot. Love the speed. Then the light shines from heaven and from the earth came the 7 PRC......Check???? ........not just yet. After reading and l seeing the data and prints I believe it just might be the perfect mix of all of the above and could be the final 7mm cartridge.

That being said. This is a hobby. Manufacturers love us. They need and want us. They love the rhetoric we put out on these forums. Ideas are formed and new things are made. The jones just got a new 7mm so is this family buying it.....no. Cause I'm content. I'm content with my 7 saum. I can show you numbers, charts all day long and some will agree and some won't. And that's how we are made. Some of us have tempers and will send out PM's that they probably regret. I may respond on a forum comment that I might regret. But in the end, they are mostly opinions of ones likes and personalities.

So with that all said.............to the original OP.....I think the 7mm PRC might be the most perfect 7mm cartridge to date IMO. But the % improvement is so minute no way for me.......but if you don't have a 7mm then it just might be for you. Be patient the load data and components will definitely come for this cartridge and soon.

cc of water volume between the 7 Rem mag and the 7 PRC are almost identical, couple of CC's at best.

In two Rem 700 7 Rem Mags, I am shooting the 175 Nosler LRAB with two loads that shoot tiny bug hole groups, 26" bbls
R#22 at 2850
R#26 at 3030
The above are not max loads, just the accuracy node where bullets are opening up a single bullet hole in the group.

For a guy that is set up for the 7 Rem mag, it would be hard to justify jumping in on a 7 PRC. I have been shooting the 7 Rem mags in Rem 700's, A bolts, and Savages since 1978, never had an issue with Belts with Rem and Win brass. I had a Larry Willis collet die for years but never used it.

The accuracy level of the saum is well noted in 1000 yd bench rest matches around here, and the 7 PRC may demonstrate similar accuracy, I will remain a Doubting Thomas having so many super accurate 7 Rem Mags under my belt with 120,140,150g C/T, 168, 175, and 180g bullets.

73 Driver, you make some valid points. The shorter case, vs mag box length, allowing the bullet to be seated out to just kissing the lands or .003 off the lands is a HUGE issue with 7mm's when searching for bug hole groups.

With the tighter throat dimension, You have to watch that throat dia for carbon build-up.

I am wondering if std 7 and 300 mags will have to have their feed rails altered to run this fatter case?

Forgive me father for I have sinned I ordered the parts.... is that the worst part or the fact I bought factory ammo? I don't know the last time I bought ammo. Having said that i'll be cruising the forum and looking for some load data so if anyone has any feel free to leave what you've found.
Hawkins and Backfire have load data articles

cc of water volume between the 7 Rem mag and the 7 PRC are almost identical, couple of CC's at best.

In two Rem 700 7 Rem Mags, I am shooting the 175 Nosler LRAB with two loads that shoot tiny bug hole groups, 26" bbls
R#22 at 2850
R#26 at 3030
The above are not max loads, just the accuracy node where bullets are opening up a single bullet hole in the group.

For a guy that is set up for the 7 Rem mag, it would be hard to justify jumping in on a 7 PRC. I have been shooting the 7 Rem mags in Rem 700's, A bolts, and Savages since 1978, never had an issue with Belts with Rem and Win brass. I had a Larry Willis collet die for years but never used it.

The accuracy level of the saum is well noted in 1000 yd bench rest matches around here, and the 7 PRC may demonstrate similar accuracy, I will remain a Doubting Thomas having so many super accurate 7 Rem Mags under my belt with 120,140,150g C/T, 168, 175, and 180g bullets.

73 Driver, you make some valid points. The shorter case, vs mag box length, allowing the bullet to be seated out to just kissing the lands or .003 off the lands is a HUGE issue with 7mm's when searching for bug hole groups.

With the tighter throat dimension, You have to watch that throat dia for carbon build-up.

I am wondering if std 7 and 300 mags will have to have their feed rails altered to run this fatter case?
A 700 Remington won't but a lot of others will. 98 Mauser definitely would need opening up.

Forgive me father for I have sinned I ordered the parts.... is that the worst part or the fact I bought factory ammo? I don't know the last time I bought ammo. Having said that i'll be cruising the forum and looking for some load data so if anyone has any feel free to leave what you've found.
Check out the Hodgdon annual magazine format update. They've got a bit of data.

9332E067-D617-4E81-B91E-3F9C28AA2963.png

I've handloaded a couple hundred rounds of various loads for my 7 PRC, Seekins Havak Element. I've finally hit the jackpot with Berger 175 Elite Hunters and 195 EOL's using H1000 and Retumbo. I got better velocities with MagPro and N570, but the SD and groups are consistently 1/4 MOA with H1000 and Retumbo. 64gr H1000 and 68gr Retumbo was money, 5/1000 off the lands.

I've handloaded a couple hundred rounds of various loads for my 7 PRC, Seekins Havak Element. I've finally hit the jackpot with Berger 175 Elite Hunters and 195 EOL's using H1000 and Retumbo. I got better velocities with MagPro and N570, but the SD and groups are consistently 1/4 MOA with H1000 and Retumbo. 64gr H1000 and 68gr Retumbo was money, 5/1000 off the lands.
Did Retumbo get you more fps than h1000?

What's your fps with Retumbo and 175's? I'm getting 2950 with h1000 and a 22" barrel.

Last edited:
What's your barrel length and velocity?