7 PRC

I suggest trying a different powder if you are consistently getting slower results from the 7 PRC than the 7 SAUM. The PRC is a considerably more potent cartridge according to all published load data I can access freely on the internet. It has 4 grains (5%) more case capacity after all.

Here's a direct comparison of Nosler's load data for the 7 SAUM vs Hodgdon's load data for the 7 PRC. With identical powders, bullets, and barrel lengths, the PRC outruns the SAUM by over 100 fps, and when optimized, over 200 fps.

CartridgePowderChargeVelocityFPS/GrFPS Difference
7 PRCH1000
67.2​
2968​
44.2​
7 SAUMH1000
61.5​
2836​
46.1​
132​
7 PRCRetumbo
70.0​
2985​
42.6​
7 SAUMRetumbo
63.5​
2879​
45.3​
106​
7 PRCMagnum
70.4​
2946​
41.8​
7 SAUMMagnum
65.0​
2832​
43.6​
114​
Max Published Load
7 PRCLRT
79​
3106​
39.3​
7 SAUMRL22
59​
2882​
48.8​
224​

I understand that individual rifles vary, but even if one compared the slowest 7 PRC barrel to the fastest 7 SAUM barrel, it is unlikely that the 7 SAUM would ever outrun the 7 PRC with properly developed hand loads.

Based on published data (and physics), there are only two "common" cartridges that match or exceed the 7 PRC, while staying within reason of SAAMI specs. 28 Nosler and 7 Rem Mag.
N570 might help ya

Does anybody feel that this cartridge can hold a heavier bullet though? I feel as though it can hold bullets in the 200 grains, however I have not looked much into the cartridge as I have the 28 nosler and all the others that have come out

@archeratlrg

How is the prc line designed to separate us from our money? Isn't this hobby that way with everything specially all the wildcats you have. I don't think there's conspiracy theories that hornady is secretly after our money in that way. It's just the future and glad to see things getting modernized and factory ammo better and better

X

So for fun, Let's see a raise of hands to all who currently own, have shot and loaded for the 7PRC that are quoting data, powder and bullet weight and performance.

As James has stated it is almost a direct comparison to a 7wsm (which has no brass support) compared to a cartridge that will have tons of support. A saum will not touch it with same barrel length unless you a willing to use powder that is extremely unstable, high heat that erodes throats quickly. The 7PRC has loading potential way beyond any data posted even with a 24" tube, adding 26 makes it even better. Looking at charts and H2o capacity proves essentially nada. Can the Saum, WSM and PRC run 190-195 class bullets? Yes but its a case more balanced in performance to run 175-180 class bullets and provide much life.

Quoting James Ealgman.... Train like you fight and fight like you train
Carbon LR..... Train like you are going into battle with a tooth pick and hope someone shows up with an Abrams tank at the last moment

Saying that if this case does not fall within your velocity limits for what it was designed for get a bigger case, 45 years of accomplished loading and shooting makes me wonder why people try to make 7rm, SAUM, WSM and make it perform like a 28N or 7RUM. Pick a case and run it within its performance limits to provide you safe long shooting experience and be happy unless you have a bottomless pit of wealth.

Respectfully

So for fun, Let's see a raise of hands to all who currently own, have shot and loaded for the 7PRC that are quoting data, powder and bullet weight and performance.

As James has stated it is almost a direct comparison to a 7wsm (which has no brass support) compared to a cartridge that will have tons of support. A saum will not touch it with same barrel length unless you a willing to use powder that is extremely unstable, high heat that erodes throats quickly. The 7PRC has loading potential way beyond any data posted even with a 24" tube, adding 26 makes it even better. Looking at charts and H2o capacity proves essentially nada. Can the Saum, WSM and PRC run 190-195 class bullets? Yes but its a case more balanced in performance to run 175-180 class bullets and provide much life.

Quoting James Ealgman.... Train like you fight and fight like you train
Carbon LR..... Train like you are going into battle with a tooth pick and hope someone shows up with an Abrams tank at the last moment

Saying that if this case does not fall within your velocity limits for what it was designed for get a bigger case, 45 years of accomplished loading and shooting makes me wonder why people try to make 7rm, SAUM, WSM and make it perform like a 28N or 7RUM. Pick a case and run it within its performance limits to provide you safe long shooting experience and be happy unless you have a bottomless pit of wealth.

Respectfully
i own and load for a 7 PRC, but i haven't been spitting out BS about performance, lol. my load is retumbo, wlrm, and 195s at 2860 w/ 26" barrel

7 SAUM - Nothing substantially new in real world performance, but gets better gas mileage than existing 7mm mag level rounds, cool. Shorter bolt throw, cool. I want one. But I also wanted a 7WSM for a while before I decided to go old school 7RM.
Components? Aside from brass for certain cartridges like this, powder primers and bullets are available if you keep a lookout for them though most at higher prices than a few years ago.

Hobbies and toys, that's what it's about for the consumer. Something shiny and new to play with to occupy our time before we die. $ is what it's about for the manufacturer and vendors. $ is the fuel of our existence. New products are often created simply to generate a jump in revenue as consumers who already have everything they need want to check out the newest thing.

We are Lucy to have such affluence and options.

The 7mm Remington Magnum is and has been my favorite caliber of big game rifle to shoot since I got my first model 700BDL Remington in 1964 for my high school graduation present.
I wasn't able to hunt large game with it until I returned from Vietnam in '67. But, thereafter I shot my deer and elk regularly every year after with a 139gn. bullet in front of over 70 grains of IMR4831 military surplus powder I bought for 57-Cents per pound. I purchased 45 lbs. of it at that price and shot every grain of it though my 7mm Rem Mag,.25-06 and. 270 Winchester.
I quit hunting with the 7mmRemMag after I got mauled by a bear in '76 and started shooting a. 338 WinMag for elk after that happened, in case I needed to kill a bear quick.Now that I am a lot older, my 7mm Rem Mag is a lot easier to carry around and with the heavier grain bullets and 2900fps velocity, I think they should stop a bear.
So, when I heard about the 7mmPRC that Hornaday had come up with, I was taken back. I got my hands on some dies and bought a new rifle to play with some loads. I feel that Hornaday has done what so many people have tried, they came up with the perfect 7mm rifle and shell design that will eventually be the ultimate, perfect 7mm of all the 7mm's. This caliber and shell design has it all when it's matched to the rifle of this case and caliber. From the barrel twist to the chamber throat, nothing has been missed. Even though it is a bit smaller case that the 7mmRemMag, it drives the bullet faster. The recoil is manageable without any type of muzzle brake, however, it is more comfortable to shoot using one or a suppressor. It's far easier to reload than the 7mmRemMag because you aren't using the rim of the case for head spacing. What I like more than anything about, however, is that it was an excuse for me to tell my wife why, at 76 years of age, I needed another rifle. It worked!

i have already made brass from 375 ruger and the formed brass is 79.8 unfired once fired it will be in the 82-83 gr just like posted by others that have fireformed hornady brass
Sorry, not saying you are wrong, in my research i have not seen anyone say that it is more than the 7 mag.