7-300 win sizing

DesertBoy

Recently purchased a 7-300 Win Mag and will be staring load development in the next couple days. Haven't been able to find a ton of info on sizing it down. I will be using a Redding full length die. I saw one post on another forum where a guy used the bushings in order of .331, .324, .317, and ending with .309. Is it necessary to go in these stages,? Also will be trying N570 with the 180gr class bullets, anyone that has tried this combo, any info is greatly appreciated.

Bushings will depend on your case neck wall thickness, but I only step down twice.
Using Peterson Long 300WINMAG brass, I step it down to .308, then down to the finished diameter for a .284, with 3thou neck interference. The final dimension is not sized all the way down the neck. I size only what is needed to give me a false shoulder. This, and leaving the bullets just touching the lands and removing my plunger, gives me great fireformed brass. I have great results with n570 and especially H1000 at 76.5gr for my 168 Bergers.
Mine is the 7mm Practical v2 on the Manson reamer.

Is it necessary to go in these stages,?
I wouldn't move down more than 0.010" in bushing size at a time. If you try to do it all at once you end up with necks that are crooked and uneven.

I step down from .338 to .308 cal using three bushings, at about the same intervals as you listed for .308 to .284 cal. It takes a few extra steps but at the end of it you get better brass for the effort.

An upshot of this is that since you're necking down, you can intentionally leave the unsized portion of the neck slightly long and have a false shoulder to hold the case back against the head with instead of using the belt on the initial firing. That will give you better shoulder movement on the first shot, will add at least one firing to the life of the brass. All it takes is test fitting a case the the rifle to determine how much of the neck to size.

Pics in this post show about how much of the neck can be left unsized to get a good crush fit:

I tried to get pics of what I'm talking about. This is one case, on one side it looks all normal and good - the other is visibly a couple hundredths shorter and the shoulder/neck junction is bulged. This was 338 cal to 308 cal in one step, and is why I use multiple intervals now.

IMG_9746.jpg

IMG_9747.jpg