6mm or 6.5mm?

bowhunthard88

Hey guys,

For F-class shooting, what cartridge would be best? 6NormaBR or 6.5 Creedmore? Any other suggestions? I don't want a 6.5x284, I want a round that is accurate and has relatively good barrel life. The rifle will also be used for varmint hunting. Actually, it will primarily be a varmint rifle at first... lol.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Go with a 6BR with a 1-8 twist Bartlein Barrel. Have it throated with a .100 lead and shoot the 105grn bullets and you'll be set!

It depends on what you intend to do more with the rifle. The 6br would be a better cartidge for a varmint hunter and will be excellent for Fclass to 300 and 600 yards.

The creedmore will give you a slight edge with wind at the 600 yard line but if you want to have an edge at the 1000 yard line the 6.5-284 is still the king. However, the 284 will have much less barrel life than the 6br and less then the creedmore. Also the recoil of the 6 is going to be better for a varmint rifle. If you do want to get the creedmore, I'd suggest looking at the 6.5x47l due to the small primer used. The only edge the creedmore has is basically that you can use 22-250 brass to form it and this could be less expensive but not as good quality. And Hornady I believe is manufacturing ammo - very expensively.

all in all, I think the BR is going to be the ticket.

Keep in mind that I don't shoot F-class nor do I shoot either rifle, I just did some research on 6mmbr.com which you may like to do as well. Just want to be honest about my experience - or lack there of;)

good luck, Mark.

Thanks for the input. I was also looking at calibers like the 6BRX, 6 Dasher, etc. I have no expirience in this either, and have been leaning towards the 6NormaBR for about 2 months, but I want to fully explore the options first. I have been doing research on 6mmBR.com and others, I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions.

By the way Hornady 6.5 Creedmore ammo with 140gr A-MAXes goes for about $27 a box (I work at a sport shop, and that is what we sell it for lol).

Thanks again.

You might also want to check out the 6X47 Lapua. Eddybo who frequents this site sold me on this round. Others have done quite well with it also. I just started shooting F-class this past year and am currently having Nathan Dagely of Straight Shot Gunsmithing build a 6X47. He too shoots F-class and has had great results with this round.

Here's my components:
Surgeon target action
Broughton 28" 7.3 twist f-class barrel
Manners T2 stock
Jewell HVR trigger
and will top it off with a 8-32X56 NF Benchrest

This gun will pull double duty and also be a varmint gun. I plan to shoot 115 gr bullets, but will experiment with 105-115.

Either will work fine. Depends on what you are looking for. Some +'s of the 6BR looong barrel life, easy to load and low recoil.

My 6br is a 1-8 Broughton
Stiller diamondback RB LP drop port
Sako Varmint Macmillan stock

Its chambered for no neck turn, load and shoot. Accuracy has been better than ever expected It has also been used for deer numerous times. Just plain fun to shoot. It likes the 107 SMK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.