6mm Creedmore 115VLD

Doghunter23

I just got my rifle back from the smith, put a new 29" Krieger barrel 7 twist on it. It has a little bastard break. My question is I seem to be getting too much speed. I followed Hodgeon reloading data, and loaded up groups of 3 ten thousandths off the lands in increasing 1 grain increments just to see what I am getting.
I found two nodes with low initial ES during my 100 yard initial sight in and testing.
40.6 Gr of H4831 running 2774 average FPS with 27.32 ES much closer to book velocity.
43.6 Gr of H4831 running 3043 average with 32.05 ES which is 154 FPS over book max velocity.
The max load had only very slight flattening of primer, no primer flow, no swipe of extractor, very easy bolt lift and both groups were about 3/8". Would anybody be afraid to just run with max load? Could extra 5 inches of barrel account for this, or maybe increased barrel twist over the 8 twist of the test rifle?
I had a very strange deal with 41.6 Gr they all hit in a one hole group at 100 with the worst ES of 81.4FPS. I have never had the best accuracy coming with the worst velocity spread. This is new brass and I wonder if maybe some dinged up brass might have just thrown off the velocity of one round. I will revisit this charge after I load some groups for COL testing with fireformed brass.
Thanks

I just got my rifle back from the smith, put a new 29" Krieger barrel 7 twist on it. It has a little bastard break. My question is I seem to be getting too much speed. I followed Hodgeon reloading data, and loaded up groups of 3 ten thousandths off the lands in increasing 1 grain increments just to see what I am getting.
I found two nodes with low initial ES during my 100 yard initial sight in and testing.
40.6 Gr of H4831 running 2774 average FPS with 27.32 ES much closer to book velocity.
43.6 Gr of H4831 running 3043 average with 32.05 ES which is 154 FPS over book max velocity.
The max load had only very slight flattening of primer, no primer flow, no swipe of extractor, very easy bolt lift and both groups were about 3/8". Would anybody be afraid to just run with max load? Could extra 5 inches of barrel account for this, or maybe increased barrel twist over the 8 twist of the test rifle?
I had a very strange deal with 41.6 Gr they all hit in a one hole group at 100 with the worst ES of 81.4FPS. I have never had the best accuracy coming with the worst velocity spread. This is new brass and I wonder if maybe some dinged up brass might have just thrown off the velocity of one round. I will revisit this charge after I load some groups for COL testing with fireformed brass.
Thanks
Change the powder, I use h4350 with the 115 at 2950 FPS out of a 22 inch barrel. Single digit ES and SD. I tried H4831sc, didn't work great in my gun either. H4350 is tried and true, also could try RL26 with that long of a barrel it will get going pretty fast.

Thanks
I ran your specs in QL and it estimates 2,853 fps for 40.6 grains and 3,063 fps for 43.6 grains. I then ran the numbers with 24" barrel. The added length increased the 40.6 load by 70 fps while the 43.6 load increased 125 fps.

Change the powder, I use h4350 with the 115 at 2950 FPS out of a 22 inch barrel. Single digit ES and SD. I tried H4831sc, didn't work great in my gun either. H4350 is tried and true, also could try RL26 with that long of a barrel it will get going pretty fast.
I think your right.. I might play around with the H4831 a bit more try to find a primer combo that will work, my main concern is that I have 8 pounds of it and no RL26 or H4350, but I am thinking I need to make a note to the Tooth fairy to borrow some unobtainable magic pixie dust! :)

I ran your specs in QL and it estimates 2,853 fps for 40.6 grains and 3,063 fps for 43.6 grains. I then ran the numbers with 24" barrel. The added length increased the 40.6 load by 70 fps while the 43.6 load increased 125 fps.
That's pretty Darn close to what I was seeing! Thank you for running those for me.

Might look at Reloader 16 too. Mine's in build right now but that's what I'll start with. Although, your barrel is a lot longer than mine will be. Going 22".

I found a load for H1000 which I have on hand. I think that I will give it a try also, My 338, 7mm and 243 all like the H4831 So its not like it'll got to waste.
I am not a fan of compressed loads, at least not extremely compressed.

With a 29 inch barrel, H1000 will give you good speed and probably a bit of extra barrel life. I'm running an H1000 load in a 28" 6CM barrel with 110gn bullets.